Battery for my 1957 Ferguson FF30 DS

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
Brittany Fergie
Flag: France

Battery for my 1957 Ferguson FF30 DS

Post #1 by Brittany Fergie » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:04 am

Hi everyone, I need a new battery for the Fergie it has a 12v 88ah 760a one on at the moment which is very old and won't take a charge. Should I replace it with one similarly rated or does anyone have any advice for a better or different rated one. Thanks as always - Jerry

hair bear
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Battery for my 1957 Ferguson FF30 DS

Post #2 by hair bear » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:21 am

Hi Jerry,
Am I right in thinking the battery is on the left side of the trans near the back axle? If so it would originally have had two 6v batteries one each side of the gearbox. The single battery conversion is very common as the correct 6v were difficult to obtain, so to my knowledge there isn't a 'correct' 12v.
Best I can suggest is take measurements of the battery you have, or the battery tray - remembering the height may be restricted by the lift arms - and see how many amp/hours you can get in the space available, or go with a direct replacement. I seem to remember that you already have an alternator so you should be good for charging. We ran our TEF on one 12v battery with a dynamo but 25+ years after parting with it the type and rating seems to have escaped me!
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Return to “Tractors”