ferguson te-20 engine conversion

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
kpdaf95

ferguson te-20 engine conversion

Post #1 by kpdaf95 » Tue May 06, 2014 10:50 pm

hi
im looking to convert a standard tef 20 to a turbo diesel and wondering has anyone done this before and what engine have they used ?
I was thinking something along the lines of a 200tdi or 300tdi out of a Landover ?

any suggestions ?

hair bear
Flag: Great Britain

Re: ferguson te-20 engine conversion

Post #2 by hair bear » Wed May 07, 2014 7:13 pm

Opico did turbo kits for most tractors, it'd be a lot less work.
The engine on a Fergie is part of the 'unit built' design so I doubt an LR block would cope on a structural level without a fabricated subframe.
If it's power you want you might jam a P6 in there!
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #3 by Mrsmackpaul » Wed May 07, 2014 10:11 pm

as Rob says the engine is also part of the chassis so you will have to build some sort of frame chassis to join the tractor back up as the Land Rover engine wont be strong enough on its own good luck and keep us informed

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

hair bear

Post #4 by hair bear » Thu May 08, 2014 12:07 am

Something else to consider is although a TEF back end would have little problem handling the power, it is designed and geared to have a max input speed around 2,000 rpm. A modern 'domestic' diesel will only produce full torque at 2-2500rpm, and a max speed of 4,500rpm which could make it close to useless and uncontrolable.

Topic author
kpdaf95

Post #5 by kpdaf95 » Thu May 08, 2014 2:33 pm

thanks lad for advice . ya I am aware that I would have to make structural modifications for supportin the front axle . the tractor wont be used for work more show than anything , have seen a good few on youtube wich has been converted but cant find out what engine they have used , one in particular I would like to use is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTstgd0IePE

hair bear

Post #6 by hair bear » Thu May 08, 2014 10:21 pm

I don't see any extra framework - but there is an extention to the bonnet. The TDI title could be misleading. It would suggest LR roots, but is it just a turbo diesel out of 'something'? There are a lot of other 2.5 turbo engines available.

Stormin

Post #7 by Stormin » Fri May 09, 2014 10:10 am

Going off the engine note and the view of the timing case and pump I would say it is indeed Land Rover Tdi engine.

The strange thing is the axle seems to be mounted behind the front pulley of the engine. I know the axles sweep back slightly but the front of engine looks much further forward than on a standard fergie.

Beside the strengthening framework required to mount engine to gearbox and tombstone to engine there is cooling to consider. The standard fergie radiator designed for 20hp wont be up to cooling 110hp of turbocharged engine. Overheating is the sure way to kill the Tdi engine with it's aluminium head.

Return to “Tractors”