Cat D2 Starting Engine Clutch

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
fordsonmajortom

Cat D2 Starting Engine Clutch

Post #1 by fordsonmajortom » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:24 am

Hi All
I have got an early 5U and need to adjust the tension on the release springs on the pinion as it disengages. As soon as the diesel fires once it throws the pinion out to soon and have to hold it in on the lever. The question is how do you remove the clutch assembly.I have taken the four bolts out but it only comes out a small amount and pulls itself back in again, help..
Thanks Michael

modelman093
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Cat D2 Starting Engine Clutch

Post #2 by modelman093 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:13 am

Google something like D2 Pony engine and you will find tons of stuff . You can register on the ACMOC site to get even more.

Topic author
fordsonmajortom

Post #3 by fordsonmajortom » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:34 pm

I have had a look and you can't take out the clutch unit without lifting the donkey engine. You can adjust the tension springs through a small access cover, which I have now done,very fiddly especially with the fuel tank and an electric starter mounted on the wing.
Michael

modelman093
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by modelman093 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:49 pm

fordsonmajortom wrote:I have had a look and you can't take out the clutch unit without lifting the donkey engine. You can adjust the tension springs through a small access cover, which I have now done,very fiddly especially with the fuel tank and an electric starter mounted on the wing.
Michael

Thought that to be so but knew that there was a lot of good advice available on line. Of all the D2s and 4s that I have driven I've never had the luxury of an electric start donkey/pony engine!

Return to “Tractors”