To Part-Out, or Not to Part-Out?

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
DarkWater

To Part-Out, or Not to Part-Out?

Post #1 by DarkWater » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:29 pm

Hi! Husband recently purchased two 1961-64 (he's pretty sure...) Fordson Super Major Tractors. Or... maybe one is a Power Major. Or, maybe one is a moped, for all the luck we are having tracking down a reliable way to identify it. But, I digress.

Both tractors have faulty injector pumps. Both are Simms. Both pumps seem impossible to find, at any price we can afford, or are likely to be able to afford, until at least one of them is working, so hubby can make money! Here is where the tough decision comes in.

I say, pick his favorite (I have indicated to him which tractor is my own favorite, based mostly on its looks), and sell easy-to-replace-when-we-can-afford-them-again parts from the second tractor. Continue to do this until the price of a NEW (because used ones apparently do not exist, or exist only on working tractors, and therefore are not for sale) pump is reached. Then buy it.

For some reason, hubby has the idea that the tractor, sold in its entirety, will be more likely to find a buyer. He envisions selling enough parts to make the leftover tractor virtual-junk, but not enough to pay for the new pump. I see the concern.

So, I guess I am wondering, what is the wisdom among those of you who know? Easier to sell parts, or to sell the whole machine, minus the stupid pump? AND, of course, if any of you know where to find a used, rebuilt, or reasonable after-market pump, I would be profoundly grateful to know about it!

Thank you so much!

TrevorJ
Flag: Australia

Re: To Part-Out, or Not to Part-Out?

Post #2 by TrevorJ » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:52 pm

Hi welcome to the forum :wave:

I suppose it depends where you are. If the tractor wreckers in your locale have been forced to abide by some stupid new council bylaw and have a few thousand tones turned into trash, you might do alright selling a few parts ... but someone is probably going to offer to grab all of it due to their perception its worth only a couple of hundred dollars total, in the UK that'd be just a hundred pounds. I've had a few that stop by and ask about the old tractors I've not had the time or money to get up running, and they don't like being told that actually paid $$$ more for some of the latest parts, than what they'd like to offer for all of it. Of course, I've had a few return while I wasn't about or at night and just help themselves.

I would generally say a going tractor is worth a lot more, especially to a hobby farmer.

You say the pumps aren't working. What was the issue? Pumps do wear out and break down, but to end up with two pumps where neither one were any good, would have to be really really bad luck.

The injectors on the other hand, probably do need cleaning, checking and setting.

The age, it's the serial number generally. But motors get swapped, and that makes it hard.

Fordson Super Major and Fordson Major parts list

I just realised there's no Workshop manual to go with it. Hmmm somewhere in my collection ;)

Anyhow, if you've got serial numbers, there is a guide somewhere on the web or someone here might fill you in. Photos help too.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #3 by FOWLER MAN » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:27 pm

Hello and welcome,
I may be able to help.
I have some Fordson 4D parts which I removed from a welding set.
Thats the same engine as the Super Major.
The injector pump was working fine when removed and has been capped and properly stored. It has not been properly tested but I just connected it to a diesel supply, spun it over and it is injecting on all cylinders.
If you are interested PM me and I'll give you my number, I'm in South Wales.
If ayone else is looking for 4D bits I have also a complete fuel filter housing, a set of injector pipes and a starter and dynamo removed from the same engine, both are checked and working.
Also a "new unused" reconditioned starter for the Fordson 4D which, like all these items, has been on the shelf here for many years.
Fred

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #4 by Mrsmackpaul » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:32 pm

As above welcome I dont know about wrecking these machines but I do feel you must be extremly unlucky to have bought two tractors and both have crook pumps I have never heard of that before have you had a diesel injection man look at them to tell you exactly what the problem is because you wont need a whole new pump a good fuel injection man should be able to fix what ever is wrong with yours and most times for not much money just thinking out aloud but thats where I would start

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:24 pm

I would also say join the Fordson forum as there is wealth of knowledge from right around world on there. http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=10

It can be quite easy to date and ID the model but many have become bitzas with parts from different eras. The Super Major dates from late 1960 and can be ID by instruments around the steering wheel (Power Major also had these), dry disc brakes (rather than drum), diff lock and draught control with hinged top link bracket operating a plunger for control (earlier models the top link had a fixed bracket).
The New Performance Super was an upgraded machine for the last year or so mid '63 to the end of the Major in '64. The draught control was upgraded, wheels and wings were a pale grey (instead of orange), bonnet decals were cheap transfers (rather than cast aluminium) and most importantly the head should have FL stamped above the injector pump area. The later Supers had different injector pumps to the earlier models IIRR the later Supers had mechanical governed Minimec and the earlier models vacuum controlled Simms. The latter has pipe work at the drive end going to the manifolds.

Casting codes will help with the age and should tie up with the engine number and machine numbers see Fordson pages:
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/manuals/brian_manuals/identifying_major/identifying_your_major.pdf

If you find a code (the easiest one is near the gear box filler) this site is useful:

http://www.selen.nu/cgi-bin/trsnr.pl?lang=en

Incidentally factory replacement or industrial engines that may have been fitted will have a number with S prefix and will not date.

Good luck

Davies373
Flag: Wales

Post #6 by Davies373 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:20 pm

Hi, hopefully someone who knows more than I do can expand on this, but on some types of injector pumps used on Majors the rack inside the pump can stick. I believe you can access this fairly easily and simply free it off. Good luck.

essexpete

Post #7 by essexpete » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:16 pm

Davies373 wrote:Hi, hopefully someone who knows more than I do can expand on this, but on some types of injector pumps used on Majors the rack inside the pump can stick. I believe you can access this fairly easily and simply free it off. Good luck.

Yes I have read one quite effective was of freeing and lubricating is with some ATF. I have used it in a later Ford engine with a rotary pump with the governor not sticking and it cured that.

Return to “Tractors”