Anyone any good at alternator bodgery? E1A Major

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
hair bear
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Anyone any good at alternator bodgery? E1A Major

Post #11 by hair bear » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:18 pm

Retried the bench test with a good battery. NFG. Wouldn't put the charge light out and didn't change the measured voltage. So... I'm curious to prove my bench test and back to the scrap pile looking for another alternator to play with.
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

rowehillmaster
Flag: Great Britain

Post #12 by rowehillmaster » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:40 am

I have just started to repair the alternator from the MF 35X from Beckside Care Farm where I am volunteering - I have put a small video up on my YouTube channel showing progress - https://youtu.be/40Ih6RrXY2I - the brushes and slip ring are shagged.

TrevorJ
Flag: Australia

Post #13 by TrevorJ » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:27 am

Really bit late with a reply, but I've done a few alternator conversions. Two were fordsons. The hardest part I found is making the bracket for primary pivot point and the adjusting arm bracket depending on where it's tightening tab is.

I recommend the two wire type alternators with built in regulators. Nice and simple. One power wire, the other is a field wire run via generally a 5w globe iirc and on off switch. (Due to events the last 5 years my memory at the moment is a bit sad and soggy - changing things this year so hopefully should start to feel like my old self.)

Re Bosch, yup in Australia many were to be found via old car wreckers or places that sell second hand auto parts.

Return to “Tractors”