generator

Talk about everything else here.

Topic author
jcb4cx
Flag: Great Britain

generator

Post #1 by jcb4cx » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:11 am

i have got hold of some pumps and generators for scrap money , the pumps have ford dover engines in ,that are locked up through water ingress :thumbdown: one only has a few hundred hours the other around a 1000

the generators are made by petbow , one is a runner with a 6 cylinder volvo penta at around 3-4 hundred hours ,but does not produce power as a circuit board has been removed ,and i do not know what wire goes where :think: :dizzy:

the other generator has been rolled after the towbar snapped off , it has smashed the starter ,broke the engine mountings ,and thieves have stole all the engines wiring :(

not sure what to do with the volvo /penta someone told me the engine would be good for marine use and that the cost of a possible circuit board would be 1000,s

anyone know much about petbows :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
every village has one , is yours missing you

Jeremy Rowland

Re: generator

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:24 pm

Nice challenge there for you Graham; I would drop the injectors out of the seized Ford engines and put one of those very small battery powered inspection torches down the injector hole to see how bad the damage is, because you may find that they are only stuck on one cylinder, futhermore you may even get away with spraying some WD40 down the bore and carefully freeing them up its got to be worth a go.
I would of thought you could turn a tidy profit on this lot specially if you can get the pumps going again? If you need any pump spares there is a chance that I could help you out, jusr decide and what you are going to do first.

Jeremy

Topic author
jcb4cx

Post #3 by jcb4cx » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:21 pm

hi Jeremy
the pumps are stuck bad ,i have had a pair of stilsons and 6ft bar on the pump shaft and they are solid
(pumps are free) i may whip the heads off and see just how bad they are
these were used as booster pumps on clean (drinking) water when they had problems and needed to boost an area
not much use on dirty water i would guess

cheers graham
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:24 pm

Graham I mentioned the pumps as we repair them at my place of work so if it was worth your while repairing them then perhaps I could be of some help?
The engines are certailny worth getting running if not too much work is involved.

Jeremy

Topic author
jcb4cx

Post #5 by jcb4cx » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:40 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:Graham I mentioned the pumps as we repair them at my place of work so if it was worth your while repairing them then perhaps I could be of some help?
The engines are certailny worth getting running if not too much work is involved.

Jeremy

i will keep that in mind ,thanks for the offer :thumbup:

Topic author
jcb4cx

Post #6 by jcb4cx » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:20 pm

the place i am working at this week has a big gm/dorman generator , it has around 1700 hrs and has been rebuilt :dizzy:

it decided to throw a leg out of bed ,and has sat for 10 years now ,with a large trailer mounted one taking its place
this may be coming into my possession if i am lucky as they want it gone :D

URL of the original image: http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n172/d4c24a/headley008.jpg

URL of the original image: http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n172/d4c24a/headley009.jpg

URL of the original image: http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n172/d4c24a/headley010.jpg

Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:25 pm

jcb4cx wrote:the place i am working at this week has a big gm/dorman generator , it has around 1700 hrs and has been rebuilt :dizzy:

it decided to throw a leg out of bed ,and has sat for 10 years now ,with a large trailer mounted one taking its place
this may be coming into my possession if i am lucky as they want it gone :D

URL of the original image: http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n172/d4c24a/headley008.jpg

URL of the original image: http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n172/d4c24a/headley009.jpg

URL of the original image: http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n172/d4c24a/headley010.jpg

Kerching 8-) ;)

Jeremy

tctractors

Post #8 by tctractors » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:13 am

Graham,this Dorman setup will chop up for about £2 Large if you put in a bit of Pikey skill, plus there will be scrap wire hanging off it that soon mounts up to some nice Beer tokens, expect the big chunk to be about 9 to 10 tons, the scrap price is falling but £175 per ton is easy to get still, the daft thing is the Dorman powered generator if it was running is worth next to nowt, dont ask me why but the generator boys dont want em? so China is the best place to send the poor thing to, the rad should be copper plus the inner engine oil cooler, then there is the copper windings to disc cut out, plus a few bits of ali to gather up.

Topic author
jcb4cx

Post #9 by jcb4cx » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:15 am

thanks TC i thought you may have an idea of options/ value ;)
the generator is/was still in working order only the engine is U/S
i heard yesterday that there is another one at a different site with the same problem
the weak link maybe :think:

cheers graham

tctractors

Post #10 by tctractors » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:14 pm

Graham, those Dorman motors usualy calf down with liner seal issues, there is tell tail holes in the cylinder block that once they start weeping, it sets the owners down the same route, you can block off the weep holes with a match stick or something, this gives you about 6 months to ether get shot of it, or save up to repare it, the rod setting free thing is common on high horse multi cylinder engines, they start up from snoozing for months from zero rpm to full bore in 5 seconds, we all know only a woman can do this trick??

Return to “Off Topic”