Who do you think you are ?

Talk about everything else here.

Topic author
martyn williams

Who do you think you are ?

Post #1 by martyn williams » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:51 am

I don't know if any of you have seen that TV programme about tracking down your reletives. Over the years I have been putting together a family tree.
It gives you an insight into the developement of the UK. I found out that my relations on my mothers side were farmers from Somerset who then travelled to the valleys of Wales to make money from the black gold rush.On my fathers / grandfathers side, they originated from Pembrokshire and Cardiganshire. My great grandad was one of those fire and brimstone preachers. :lol:
The valleys pre coal pit days were just small communities scratching a living from the land.
When coal was found, many mine shafts were sunk,this caused a huge influx of people to take up work in the mining industry.
After the decline of the coal industry that was killed off in the 1980's by Maggie and Scargill,the mining communities were decimated.
Even the new industries that replaced them are going . Some are relocating to countries where labour costs are very low.
A very sad end, don't know if it will ever recover.
Martyn

andyb

Re: Who do you think you are ?

Post #2 by andyb » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:09 pm

Sorry its an old post Martyn , I have recently been doing research into my family history I have managed to get back several generations till 1797 , been made easier as they hadnt strayed much from the Hackney area until the 60s. Most of the family line where shoe makers from 1797 till the early 1900s .

Find so much interesting information , as I am sure you have.

Andy

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #3 by martyn williams » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:27 pm

Its always interesting to track down relations,you may stumble on a windfall :lol: .I was told that one old member of CMN was relatated to Ned Kelly. :lol:
Martyn

andyb

Post #4 by andyb » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:28 pm

My surname is the same as a infamous USA serial killer , was chatting to my brother the other day about it and we both approach it differantly , I say no relation my brother says oh yeah cousin Ted , LOL.

Andy

dependencies

Post #5 by dependencies » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:31 pm

On a slightly off note,

I can't abide that Alan Carr

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #6 by martyn williams » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:49 pm

He is pretty awfull :lol:
Martyn

librarian62

Post #7 by librarian62 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:49 am

I know my grandparents on my dad's side came from Ireland, and settled somewhere in Ontario, Canada @ early 1900's. Then moved to the Midland, Michigan area shortly thereafter....As far as I know, there's still a Ronan Street in Midland.
Grandparents on my mother's side (the Kotenko's) left Russia (Ukraine) in 1916. They settled in the Saginaw, Michigan area. They were considered "peasant workers" and worked on the sugar-beet farms in that area. But later on, many of my mum's siblings worked for General Motors, in the steering gear plant, and other GM plants in the area....
Wasn't much for the taste of Guiness Stout, but enjoyed HARP more.....
And I did enjoy Stoly Vodka as well.
I don't drink anymore. I found I liked it WAY TOO MUCH for a stretch of time :dizzy:

Return to “Off Topic”