Earthmovers magazine

Talk about everything else here.

Topic author
argie
Flag: Wales

Earthmovers magazine

Post #1 by argie » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:35 pm

Gents,

Would you like to see your company, or the company you work for in the pages of this magazine? Are you using any interesting pieces of kit that the world needs to see!?
If you are interested please let me know. :thumbs_up:

Regards
Paul

Nick Drew

Re: Earthmovers magazine

Post #2 by Nick Drew » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:19 pm

I wouldn't mind the £20 they owe me for some picture post photos of mine they published ages ago !! :twisted:

I think a call to trading standards may be needed !!

Sorry to be off topic but it really annoys me :x It's not really about the money but just the fact that they advertise that you will get it if your pics are used but they have no intention of paying you :roll: And they do not reply to any letters or emails about it....Damm right rude IMO :shock:

Nick.

martyn williams

Post #3 by martyn williams » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:40 pm

Hello Nick
Found the same with them.
Martyn

Tracshovel
Flag: France

Post #4 by Tracshovel » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:30 pm

......Ditto.....same experience.

Topic author
argie

Post #5 by argie » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:45 pm

Bloody hell I've opened up a right can of worms here :o .
Next time I speak to the editor I shall pass on your comments unfortunately as I'm a freelancer and have no say in what goes on with payments for photos. I can but ask.

Paul

Joes1989
Flag: Great Britain

Post #6 by Joes1989 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:16 pm

Id quite like to see the firm i work for featured in Earthmovers, or a firm called J C BALLS and Sons, They have the muckshift on the M1 and have a very extensive vintage collection that i think the readers would be interested in seeing.

Joe

Nick Drew

Post #7 by Nick Drew » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:13 pm

b100 wrote:Hello Nick
Martyn

Yes Martyn,

That is one of the reasons I personally prefer Classic Plant & Machinery magazine, they are far more in touch with their readers and always welcome input from us, seems to me that unless you are a professional journalist you would never get a look in with Earthmovers :twisted: They simply are not interested in their readers ...a prime example is what happened to the Readers letters section ?????

Nick ;)

Topic author
argie

Post #8 by argie » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:06 pm

Nick,
I, from a personal point of view, totally disagree with you.
I have had no journalistic or photographic training and have spent the last 22 years working as a joiner and site manager in the building industry only honing my photography through the pursuit of my hobby. I was lucky that I was in the right place at the right time when photographing the delivery of a PC3000 at Merthyr, I approached Earthmovers to see if they wanted photos of the machine and was asked to put a story together. After blindly agreeing to do the article I was shocked to have my first article printed! and thought "bloody hell, I'm getting paid to do something I enjoy doing! I'm going to get off my arse and get some more jobs like this" In all fairness to Earthmovers they now want the majority of things I do, maybe I have been lucky, I don't know

Paul

Nick Drew

Post #9 by Nick Drew » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:19 pm

argie wrote:Nick,
I, from a personal point of view, totally disagree with you.
I have had no journalistic or photographic training and have spent the last 22 years working as a joiner and site manager in the building industry only honing my photography through the pursuit of my hobby. I was lucky that I was in the right place at the right time when photographing the delivery of a PC3000 at Merthyr, I approached Earthmovers to see if they wanted photos of the machine and was asked to put a story together. After blindly agreeing to do the article I was shocked to have my first article printed! and thought "bloody hell, I'm getting paid to do something I enjoy doing! I'm going to get off my arse and get some more jobs like this" In all fairness to Earthmovers they now want the majority of things I do, maybe I have been lucky, I don't know

Paul

That's fair enough Paul and I respect your opinion....

But it will not change my opinion of the magazine :cry:

I personally am going to draw a line on commenting in this thread because there seems little point in discussing it :x

Nick

Tracshovel
Flag: France

Post #10 by Tracshovel » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:32 pm

Nick Drew wrote:
b100 wrote:Hello Nick
Martyn

Yes Martyn,

That is one of the reasons I personally prefer Classic Plant & Machinery magazine, they are far more in touch with their readers and always welcome input from us, seems to me that unless you are a professional journalist you would never get a look in with Earthmovers :twisted: They simply are not interested in their readers ...a prime example is what happened to the Readers letters section ?????

Nick ;)

I think that is exactly the point with Earthmovers....they are a professional outfit and I think they do achieve the required result with a consistant quality magazine (which personally I don't think CPM comes anywhere near). But I do agree that they maybe need to provide better feedback to those that have tried to contribute information or photo's. Another point as Argie says...not all of their writers are professionals, others maybe called that now but many of them also started writing articles through a love of their hobby e.g Keith Haddock. I still enjoy reading their magazine.

One good point of a forum like this is the feedback - critical or praise which everybody can use to make our hobby more enjoyable.

Return to “Off Topic”