The Vulcan to the Sky tour....

Talk about everything else here.

Topic author
Joes1989
Flag: Great Britain

The Vulcan to the Sky tour....

Post #1 by Joes1989 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:59 pm

Well last Sunday i finally fulfilled my ambition of seeing Avro Vulcan XH558 flying.
I had planned on seeing her on the saturday but a family event put pay to that so i travelled to her old home of Bruntingthorpe airport which turned out to be a great idea.

Having had a look round at the various old jets and restoration projects and a 3 hour sit in the car she turned up and did a double flyby over another old Cold war jet in the form of a Handley Page Victor. The second flyby was stunning hearing the full force of the four olympus engines between 600 and 1000ft directly above my head was a moment i will never ever forget! There was alot of applauding after she disapearred of over the trees and i have to say i felt quite sad and felt quite teary at the thought of this beautiful aircraft never being flown again after the end of the season!

DSC_0040.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0060.JPG

DSC_0074.JPG

DSC_0094.JPG

DSC_0135.JPG

DSC_0235.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: The Vulcan to the Sky tour....

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:24 pm

Nice pics Joe :claphands: yes the Vulcan is a lovely aircraft no doubt about that; I heard them running the engines up while the plane was on the ground at Wellsbourne (maybe spelt wrong?) near Warwick a few months before she was flying, such a shame that its all over now.

Jeremy

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #3 by Mrsmackpaul » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:40 pm

Wow all this stuff from the cold war era is gunna be lost for ever soon I feel as there was no glory attached to most of it which is a real shame because if we forget our history we are more likely to repeat the mistakes and loose the lessons

It was amazing what was built back in those days with technology that they didnt have then

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Topic author
Joes1989

Post #4 by Joes1989 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:04 pm

This was the first time id heard the Howl of the engines in real life and i have to say what you hear in the videos does not do it justice at all! Ive never been a fan of jets really but having explored them abit this year i have to say that i definitely am gaining interest in them now! Such a shame that i only got into aviation properly just as the Vulcan is being retired.....

Next on my list is to see modern jets in action starting with a trip to RAF Coningsby's famous mound viewing area to see some Eurofighter Typhoon and Tornado's in action!

hair bear

Post #5 by hair bear » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:22 pm

At Farnborough on Sunday there was probably over 1000 at the west end of the runway just to see it go over once!
I have been ringside at Farnborough twice for the take-off run and both times was still suffering tinnitus the following weekend.
A couple of linkys for you...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_6bZ2Kzaj8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPCGT_DXh_Q
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

topkit

Post #6 by topkit » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:36 pm

The Vulcan is an awsome plane and its criminal that its not going to be kept airworthy, but by all accounts its not just its airframe hours, the three large companies that help in maintenance, Rolls Royce, BAE systems and Marshall Aerospace have withdrawn their technical assistance, they apparently have to get people out of retirement who worked on these planes in their RAF days and this is becoming more and more difficult to do this (what has happened to this generation of young people why not teach apprentices the trade there must be a handfull of younger people that would be willing to put their Iphone or Play Stations down and learn a trade to help keep this icon in the air) Joe great pictures there, i saw this plane way back in the 70's with my late father there were some great Jets back then the Phantom, the Lightning was absolutely incredible to watch, There is another Vulcan that is being restored over near Southend so maybe one day we may see one fly again, There are several petitions to keep the vulcan the main one is a Petition.parliment.uk the more people that register the better.

Return to “Off Topic”