Coal: opencast coal mining statistics 2007

Talk about everything else here.

Topic author
IBH

Coal: opencast coal mining statistics 2007

Post #1 by IBH » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:59 pm

This may be of interest to some- British Geological Survey data for Opencast coal mining in England, Wales and Scotland including details of new Opencast sites, existing sites given extensions, those recently closed (in 07) combined with location/owner/operator details.
http://www.bgs.ac.uk/mineralsuk/minequa ... /home.html

John Gaunt
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Coal: opencast coal mining statistics 2007

Post #2 by John Gaunt » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:13 pm

Thanks for posting, IBH, it makes interesting reading, I noted the new site at Sharlston Nr Wakefield which is near to where I used to live.

nick lamb

Post #3 by nick lamb » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:21 pm

'The future is bright.....the future is BLACK'
Coal is king again. :thumbs_up:

martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:26 pm

The way things are going we will be burning coal amd log for our heating.Thanks toThatcher, we are firmly grabbed by the short and curlies by the suppliers of our gas and electricity.
Martyn

nick lamb

Post #5 by nick lamb » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:16 pm

It must be good news for our workforce.There are no doubt many operators on this board who have little or no work to do as the demand for many small to medium sized excavators and dumptrucks has gone.I notice that there are some young lads on this board who seem keen to work and would consider going 'on the tramp' to get work.There will be more demand for machine operators in the larger sector such as mining.
Some of you will have seen my occasional requests for grader men,heavy plant fitter, and this week I am looking for a ripper driver.Take note that it's all 'big kit'.I never have problems getting mini digger drivers or PC210 drivers for example,but the big kit seems to fall on deaf ears.Who is going to drive the big ridgid dumptrucks,big face shovels,big graders,big dozers and scrapers in five years time?.There is some work out there still.
It's not easy changing your ways and getting in to these sites is hard.Keep trying.I note that on another thread one young lad is pestering the life out a potential employer.I take my hat off to you mate for trying.Keep at it.You will get a break soon.
The energy crisis may well be YOUR break into a coalsite job.
Coal is king :thumbs_up:

Return to “Off Topic”