Memories of Fred Dibnah

Talk about everything else here.

Topic author
martyn williams

Memories of Fred Dibnah

Post #1 by martyn williams » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:50 pm

I first met Fred in the early 1980's, I made the trip to Bolton to see his collection and steam driven equipment.On arrival he has the boiler in steam,a Danks horizontal,which supplied steam to the stationary engine called Caroline, named after one of his daughters.I spent a good 5 hours at his yard.He showed me how all the machines worked and had a good chat about all sorts of things.
I visited Bolton many times after that.We invited Fred to our steam rally in 1997,we transported his roller to the event as well.
It was the first steam rally that Fred and Sheila were together.They married a couple of years later.
We all had a great time in the beer tent.But,I had far too much cider,I slept in the field and did not make it back to my trailer tent.I have never had cider since :lol:
Hope you like the photos.I will be adding more
click on photo to enlarge :thumbup: The log he was cutting was made into wooden wedges for a job he was doing the following week.
The middle photo is of Jack, Roger,Freds sons, myself and sheila's son.
Martyn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
martyn williams

Re: Memories of Fred Dibnah

Post #2 by martyn williams » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:45 pm

This group of photos shows the Glamorgan and Gwent club committee in a pissed state in our beer tent :lol: note the drinks price list
I had a lend of Freds cap as I stood at his home made pit.This shaft worried the local residents but it was safe, as Fred had calculated everything. :lol:
Also Fred at the steam powered lathe
Martyn

click on photo to enlarge :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #3 by martyn williams » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:49 am

Fred was very surprised with the media attention he received after that first short tv programme in 1979.
He worked very hard to get the Aveling steam tractor ready for the round Britain tour for the TV.He knew that he had terminal cancer but went through the pain barrier to do the show.He only got through about two thirds of what he wanted to do.I spoke to him in the August of 2004,he said he was getting tired,his illness was taking its toll.We were going to meet up when he was due to travel south.
Bet he got worse and ended up in Bolton hospice.The news we dreaded came in November 2004.He lost his fight.
I travelled to Bolton for his funeral,what a turn out.500 of us in the church and 8000 people in the streets on a very wet day.
All of us there had shed a tear throughout that morning.He had a fantastic send off.
At Tonge cemetary Bolton,a line up of steamers blew their whistles as he was layed to rest.Very moving indeed.
I have scanned the church service sheet for you to see.His favorite song was "don't cry for me Argentina " which was played at the service.
We had great memories of just a hard working guy that had fame thrust upon him.
Martyn
click on photo to enlarge.

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:16 am

Just found this you tube footage,I am standing in the gateway to the church.By this time we were all very wet.But we did not mind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyb5rpAPemw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpEN8iEVUVs
Martyn

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by Martyn Henley » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:27 am

I see Fred's life has been turned into a play
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12975159

Martyn

Topic author
martyn williams