winget 4s dumper

Discuss dumpers here

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Re: winget 4s dumper

Post #81 by cobbadog » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:35 am

Check for any stuck valves as well.
The specs for the clearances seem backward to me of 0.004" cold and 0.007" hot. When you think about it if set at the cold setting and when it gets ho that gap must become less due to heat expansion.
Sorry to mislead you if I m wrong.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
mechman
Flag: Great Britain

Post #82 by mechman » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:10 am

That's what confused me, hot is generally less gap than cold. Think I'll head for 7 cold.
Norm.

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #83 by cobbadog » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:48 am

G'Day Norm,
That is what I would do and if it is a little bit rattley when at running temp then you can close the gap up.
Cheers Cobba

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #84 by FOWLER MAN » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:22 pm

Hi Norm,
Sorry I haven't been on here to answer some of your questions.
As far as rattles from the top end are concerned I cant see two or three thou. valve clearance making much difference. :think:
Are the rockers getting oil :?: :?:
There is a restrictor fitted in the rocker oil feed to control the flow which may require occasional attention. It feeds the oil through a small hole and up to the rockers, thus maintaining oil pressure to the crank and bearings.
You will find the restrictor in behind the banjo nut where the rocker oil feed connects to the crank case it consists of a plunger and spring in a barrel which can be screwed out for cleaning.
If the rockers are still running dry it may be worth cleaning the suction filter in the sump. :think: That could save you bigger problems later. :thumbup:

Topic author
mechman

Post #85 by mechman » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:35 pm

Hi Fred'
Thanks for the info, the top end isn't rattling, its just the firing on one cylinder that's bugging me, I'm going to it tomorrow and going over it all, tappets, spill timing, exhaust ports clear etc, weather permitting.
Norm.

Topic author
mechman

Post #86 by mechman » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:37 pm

Hi all.
Well I set about the dumper today, started at the tappets all ok, then exhaust ports all clear, set spill timing again. Gave it a whirl and it fired straight up on one cylinder, so swapped injectors around and gave it whirl, it fired up on the same cylinder. Just wondering if the pump is weak as not strong enough to atomise the diesel when the injector is in the head. The spray pattern is ok when the injector is out of the head. I have a spare pump so I'll have to try swapping them over. There isn't any white smoke when it's running. Could be stuck rings as it has stood a long while, any way it's gonna get the full fat coca cola treatment if all else fails. Don't want to pull the motor apart if I can help it.
Norm.
Last edited by mechman on Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

essexpete

Post #87 by essexpete » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:43 pm

Is it electric or manual start? Just thinking if the latter you turn over with each cylinder separately decompressed to see if there is a difference in compression?

Topic author
mechman

Post #88 by mechman » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:01 pm

Hi Pete.
It's a manual PH2 converted to electric start so it has both, but the decompression lever joins both heads together. I can turn the engine over by hand but haven't tried to feel for the compression on each cylinder that way yet. weather and patience took its toll today. Will have another go next week weather permitting.
Norm :( :dizzy:

Jeremy Rowland

Post #89 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:01 pm

You sound like your on the right track with it Norm; let's hope swapping the pump units works okay and was the fault, yes the weather has been pretty awful today but alas we are approaching winter.

Jeremy

Topic author
mechman

Post #90 by mechman » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:32 am

Hi all.
I forgot to mention that while it was running yesterday I lifted the priming levers a tad and I could really feel the resistance (cammy) knocking against it,( the lever) but the lever on the non firing cylinder was practically horizontal before any resistance and very weak cammy wise. Hope that makes sense, and I also think this might point me to the pump having a weak or broken spring or whatever's inside It.
Norm :dizzy:

Return to “Dumpers”