winget 4s dumper

Discuss dumpers here

Jeremy Rowland

Re: winget 4s dumper

Post #91 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:16 pm

mechman wrote:Hi all.
I forgot to mention that while it was running yesterday I lifted the priming levers a tad and I could really feel the resistance (cammy) knocking against it,( the lever) but the lever on the non firing cylinder was practically horizontal before any resistance and very weak cammy wise. Hope that makes sense, and I also think this might point me to the pump having a weak or broken spring or whatever's inside It.
Norm :dizzy:

Stands a fair chance there Norman let us know how you get on. :thumbup:

Jeremy

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #92 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:40 pm

mechman wrote:Hi all.
I forgot to mention that while it was running yesterday I lifted the priming levers a tad and I could really feel the resistance (cammy) knocking against it,( the lever) but the lever on the non firing cylinder was practically horizontal before any resistance and very weak cammy wise. Hope that makes sense, and I also think this might point me to the pump having a weak or broken spring or whatever's inside It.
Norm :dizzy:

Hi Norm,
Two things come to mind. The tappet / plunger in the housing where the pump is mounted which operates the pump has been known to stick, not allowing the pump to return to the bottom of its stroke.
Also the tappet / plunger in the pump itself can stick, or the spring which returns it may be broken.
What I can't see though is how you would have been able to spill time both pumps if these faults were present.
It is important to check the calibration marks on the pumps before spill timing.
Below is a pic. I took and posted here a while back showing the mark on the pump rack. You will have to move the rubber boots on the rack to find them, ( if they are still fitted).
Slide the rack on the first pump to the flywheel end, make sure the rack extension is tight against the governor arm and adjust it to obtain the half inch clearance as shown in the pic. then without moving the first pump adjust the link between the two pumps to obtain the same setting on the second pump. The measurement is taken from the pump casting not the brass bushing.

Topic author
mechman
Flag: Great Britain

Post #93 by mechman » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:27 pm

Hi Fred.
Strangely the the cylinder that was running was the difficult one to spill time ( something sticking?) The non firing one timed easily. while it was running I had a go at adjusting the linkage between the two pumps and couldn't encourage the dead cylinder to fire.
Norm.

Topic author
mechman

Post #94 by mechman » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:49 am

Just remembered,
One of the times I was spill timing the dodgy cyl the fuel wouldn't stop running, so gave the pump a few knocks and it sorted it, another clue to the pump maybe.
Norm.

essexpete

Post #95 by essexpete » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:33 am

mechman wrote:Just remembered,
One of the times I was spill timing the dodgy cyl the fuel wouldn't stop running, so gave the pump a few knocks and it sorted it, another clue to the pump maybe.
Norm.

Could it be a result of the second sympton Fred descibes above?

Topic author
mechman

Post #96 by mechman » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:38 pm

I'm going to swap the pump on sat ( hopefully the same type) and see what happens. I haven't spilled as much beer as I have diesel timing this engine.
Norm.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #97 by FOWLER MAN » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:45 am

mechman wrote:I'm going to swap the pump on sat ( hopefully the same type) and see what happens. I haven't spilled as much beer as I have diesel timing this engine.
Norm.

Hi,
If the spare pump is calibrated for a different engine you could still use the tappet and spring in your existing pump if you need to, it will be the same. :think:
Push the tappet in and insert a pin across through the two small holes in the bottom of the pump body to hold the tappet away from the circlip when removing and replacing it. :thumbup:

Topic author
mechman

Post #98 by mechman » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:17 pm

Hi all.
Well today I swapped the Bryce pump on the non firing cyl for one off another ph2 that let a conrod go. Spill timed all AGAIN, And low and behold it fired up on the non firing cylinder, but not on the good cyl. So while I was getting soaked (rain) I decided to spill time them both AGAIN, this time it was the other way round. back to square one the original good cyl firing and not the one that wasn't. Still raining so called it a day. At least I know that there doesn't seem to be anything sinister wrong with the cyl that wouldn't fire no matter what. Hopefully a matter of getting that timing absolutely cock on. I'll have another go when the weather and mood allows me.
Norm. :dizzy:

Jeremy Rowland

Post #99 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:09 pm

keep trying Norman you are at least on the right lines so as they say nowt untoward.

Jeremy

Topic author
mechman

Post #100 by mechman » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:56 pm

Hi all.
The MD at the railway said I see you've got it running. Me , yes but only on one cyl again. Him. Yes it was always like that at the place it came from (and the MD) HMP service and the guy that looked after the plant used to spend a lot of time on it trying to get it to run on both cylinders, How inspiring.
Norm.

Return to “Dumpers”