Drott TD6
Flag: Ireland

Is this a Winget?

Post #1 by Drott TD6 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:26 pm

I have just bought this little dumper to go with my JCB 3CIII

D1.JPG

d2.JPG

d3.JPG

Can anybody positively ID and date it, it looks a bit like a Winget to me but the curved rear panel has me puzzled. It has the usual Petter engine and three speed and reverse box. The engine is mounted dead centre in the chassis and there seem to be mounting holes on the 'passenger' side wing for another seat or maybe to allow LHD versions to be made?

I'd like to get a manual for it as my attempt at starting on the handle was pathetically unsuccessful, (I didn't realize there was a priming lever on the Petter engine or that there was a starting position on the pump). It did however start with a tow, despite the 10 year old diesel in the tank, and I rapidly found that a few mph can be very scary when your not used to rear steer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

marshallmp6

Re: Is this a Winget?

Post #2 by marshallmp6 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:04 am

Hello Paul.....Is it perhaps a Rob Roy? I have a brochure on the Rob Roy range and although your machine is not exactly the same it does share a lot of similar design and engineering traits. I also have a complete Barford Bantam dumper with an SR1 Lister engine. Again very similar machine underneath but very different tinwork. I am no expert on British dumpers but the Wingets that I have seen also have quite different tinwork . Cheers Don.

Topic author
Drott TD6

Post #3 by Drott TD6 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:33 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, I have never heard of a Rob Roy! A job for Google then.
I think that all of these little dumpers are very similar, with engines, gear boxes, wheels and tyres all sourced from the same suppliers. I have been looking through the online Winget manuals and there are similarities with some of the models:
Wheels and tyres are the same size as a 2SE suggesting it's a 15cwt model.
Skip release mechanism similar to a 3SE:

Capture.JPG

Brutal tin tractor seat sugesting a 70's or earlier machine?

I think the main distinguishing feature is the curved rear panel which has the rear wings bolted to it.
Here are more pictures taken after it was pulled from the shed:
back.jpg

side1.jpg

side2.jpg

Look familiar to anybody?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

todd5

Post #4 by todd5 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:11 pm

not a winget 2s definate, benford had curved rears but its not a tiny benford. could be a barford.

todd5

Post #5 by todd5 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:20 pm

the wings and handbrake are quite distinctive, very similar to a JCB 1D dumper, but the back panel is somewhat different. i'll check my photos at work tomorrow, have a good library and knowledge on most dumpers.

Topic author
Drott TD6

Post #6 by Drott TD6 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:27 pm

I'd like it to be a JCB, it would match my digger!

I looked at this thread on here
JCB Dumper ?
And there are a few differences
Pedals
5 stud rear wheels vs 3 stud on mine
seat on mine mounted directly to wing
different back panel

As someone on the other thread said: "every engineering firm in the Uk seemed to have a go at knocking out these 'manual everything' small dumpers.
They must be one of the most difficult vehicles to identify once they lose their badges as they're all so similar
."

I'll take some more detailed pics and put them up here soon.

todd5

Post #7 by todd5 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:05 pm

johnson maybe

XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Post #8 by XS650 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:00 pm

Have a feeling its a late Barford (1970s?). Last of the old range before they were reborn in 1990s.

As someone on the other thread said: "every engineering firm in the Uk seemed to have a go at knocking out these 'manual everything' small dumpers.
They must be one of the most difficult vehicles to identify once they lose their badges as they're all so similar."

I said that :D
Not all those who wander are lost.

Topic author
Drott TD6

Post #9 by Drott TD6 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:53 pm

Well, the next time I'm tinkering with the dumper (Friday) I'm going to search all over it for any kind of name or number.
The mystery is really getting to me. :wtf:

Topic author
Drott TD6

Post #10 by Drott TD6 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:40 pm

I have looked high and low for any ID marks on the dumper, no luck yet.
It looks like it was originally yellow, there is a Petter data plate on the engine, could this help date the machine?
There's a plate on the top of the gearbox but I'm going to have to scrape the paint off before I can read that.
Here are a few more pictures in case anyone's memory is jogged:

Return to “Dumpers”