Winget PH1 starting problem

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
willie.macleod

Re: Winget PH1 starting problem

Post #21 by willie.macleod » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:53 pm

She runs! Got the head back on with new gaskets all round, she then started without too much trouble :D

Need to adjust the idle though as there is just a mass of disconnected springs on the foot throttle assembly that need sorting out. Somehow in all this the corroded oil pipe that takes oil to the rocker box has called it a day so I'll need to do something about that as well. Probably sleeve the break till I can get copper pipe soldered onto the ends.

Peter Quick at e-gaskets was true to his word and got the gasket here quickly and well packaged so I can recommend him based on my experience with this.

I got the brake drums off by putting a Pug 205 jack against one edge of the drum and tensioning that against the dumper chassis then tapping the other side of the drum from behind. Found the expanders were seized solid (manual rod operated, no hydraulics). I've got them apart after a good bake in the oven (don't worry, the wife is away for a week ;) ) but it looks like they are probably going to require replacement - these look the same as Land Rover series 2/3 handbrake expanders, can anyone confirm if they are? If they are then that is excellent as they are only £15 each new and the clips to hold them pennies (Winget charging £10 for one of 3 clips for each side to hold the expanders in place, and say expander housings are no longer available!).

Thank you all for your advice throughout, much appreciated :thumbup:

Julian

Post #22 by Julian » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:55 pm

willie.macleod wrote:She runs! Got the head back on with new gaskets all round, she then started without too much trouble :D

Need to adjust the idle though as there is just a mass of disconnected springs on the foot throttle assembly that need sorting out. Somehow in all this the corroded oil pipe that takes oil to the rocker box has called it a day so I'll need to do something about that as well. Probably sleeve the break till I can get copper pipe soldered onto the ends.

Peter Quick at e-gaskets was true to his word and got the gasket here quickly and well packaged so I can recommend him based on my experience with this.

I got the brake drums off by putting a Pug 205 jack against one edge of the drum and tensioning that against the dumper chassis then tapping the other side of the drum from behind. Found the expanders were seized solid (manual rod operated, no hydraulics). I've got them apart after a good bake in the oven (don't worry, the wife is away for a week ;) ) but it looks like they are probably going to require replacement - these look the same as Land Rover series 2/3 handbrake expanders, can anyone confirm if they are? If they are then that is excellent as they are only £15 each new and the clips to hold them pennies (Winget charging £10 for one of 3 clips for each side to hold the expanders in place, and say expander housings are no longer available!).

I don't know if they are series LR handbrake expanders. Could also be pukka brake shoe expanders from cars of that era, like Austin 1100 maybe? Anyway, I normally find that a combination of heat and WD40 gets em going again.

Julian.

essexpete

Post #23 by essexpete » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:08 pm

Julian wrote:
willie.macleod wrote:She runs! Got the head back on with new gaskets all round, she then started without too much trouble :D

I don't know if they are series LR handbrake expanders. Could also be pukka brake shoe expanders from cars of that era, like Austin 1100 maybe? Anyway, I normally find that a combination of heat and WD40 gets em going again.

Julian.

More than likely belonged to something of the era. Did the L/Rover have Salisbury axles?

Julian

Post #24 by Julian » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:13 pm

essexpete wrote:More than likely belonged to something of the era. Did the L/Rover have Salisbury axles?

Some did I think, like the 101 - but I'm no expert on LR's. My Series three with Rover axles (I think) has snail cam adjusters so it's not them. Leyland cars used them IIRC, I worked on cars for a living back then but my memory is failing :-( I do remember having the get the oxy/acet + the duck oil on the effing things practically everytime they needed adjustment :cry:

And the Morris Marina with alloy rear wheel cylinders that siezed up solid with corrosion every 9 months for certain.....

Julian.

Topic author
willie.macleod

Post #25 by willie.macleod » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:17 pm

Yes its definitely the right era - the handbrake on series (and others!) LRs is on the back of the transfer box not the axles and is manually operated by rods. I've got them both freed and working at the moment but they are missing dust covers and both have cracks in the castings so its only a matter of time before they will both need sorted properly. I'll report back to confirm if they are series LR handbrake bits once I order them, rather embarrassingly the dumper is stuck halfway into a ditch as I had to shift it to get a digger past and the ground was a bit soft.... Mondays job is to recover it back to terra firma and see if I can actually put it to use :thumbup:

Cheekymonkey
Flag: Great Britain

Post #26 by Cheekymonkey » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:12 pm

Hi All,

Sort of relevant to this thread so thought might be better than a new one.

I lent my thwaites nimbus to my builders today, perhaps a mistake. Never had an issue with her & they broke her in an hour.

She has PH1 engine.

They say she ran out of fuel. They then went through various ways of trying to restart it after filling by bumping it, then bled the fuel line, then played with the primer lever. I 'THINK' they may have tried to turn over & force something with the prime lever possible breaking the mechanisum.

In my tests so far I have ascertained that there is not fuel at the injector (i took the line off & turned if over & nothing)
When bleeding there IS fuel down at the rack on the bleed screw
When using the prime lever it never feels like there is any compression at all it just flops up & down.

Is it possible they broke the mechanisum?
I was planning on taking off the primer/pump to take a look at some point over the next day or so but if any other thoughts or tips just shout & I can do any tests.

Jonm
Flag: Great Britain

Post #27 by Jonm » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:43 am

One thought, you say the priming lever just flops up and down, I have a ph2 and I think that mine does that when the pump cylinder is being pushed up by the cam. I turn my engine over say quarter turn and lever then works.

I suppose if they drained the tank some dregs could have been dragged in to the pump and cause a blockage. It may be worth starting a completely new post on this, there are some very knowledgeable people on this site. Perhaps you could try a message to fowler man who has commented above, he seems very knowledgeable. I hope your builders have not damaged your dumper, I will be doing something similar with my dumper soon.

Mattj 345
Flag: Wales

Post #28 by Mattj 345 » Mon May 08, 2023 5:55 pm

Was the brake expanders the same as the landrover handbrake I'm trying to find some for my thwaites orion and not having much luck

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #29 by cobbadog » Mon May 22, 2023 7:22 am

Most likely Girling brake syste.. Simply strip and clean your parts then lube as required should be no ned to buy more parts.
Cheers Cobba

Mattj 345
Flag: Wales

Post #30 by Mattj 345 » Fri May 26, 2023 1:22 pm

Thanks cobba I've only got one brake expander on my dumper at the moment, hopefully tomorrow I'll have it running then set to repairing everything else on it

Return to “Dumpers”