10 Ton Morewear Goose Neck Dumpers

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
surreydodger
Flag: Afghanistan

10 Ton Morewear Goose Neck Dumpers

Post #1 by surreydodger » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:58 am

Hi to all,

I've been a closet reader of this marvellous website for 6 months or more but have now plucked up the courage to come out and say something :)

My late father worked at Smiths of Horley in the 1950's and was there until it was sold off to zee Germans in the early 60s' (1964 I think, to be precise). He was very involved with working on the 10 Ton Morewear Goose Neck Dumper which attached to the Fordson Major.

Now much of what he told me is a bit hazy (he died over 20 yrs ago) so please excuse anything I have wrong. He worked on the design and I believe, he came up with the idea of the goose neck, something to do with the way the balance of a heavy load on the drawbar worked and by having the gooseneck attach up high made this better. That said, I do remember him telling me that in the early testing stages, several machines went up and over as they scaled steep inclines!!

Now I know Shawnee Poole were a competitor but that is about all I know. I would like to know did they come up with the first implementation of a 10ton earth moving trailer or was it Smiths?

I also know that when Smiths was sold to German owners, the Morewear was used behind Mercedes Unimog's. Dinghy toys went into production of these and I am the proud owner of what it transpires is quite a rare model. I aso have a full works manual (nigh mint as it has never seen a mechanics greasy workbench :)) and several photos of my dad on a sales stand with the trailer. I think those photos were taken in either Germany or Smithfield, I'll try and dig them out from my mum's collection sometime).

So, I would like any info anyone might have to give on the Morewear (I'd love to know how it got that name?).

I would also be very keen to hear from anyone who owns or knows of someone who owns one or might even have one for sale. My dad's name was Joe Cozens-Smith if that is of any relevance to anyone here.

With thx for any replies.

martyn williams

Re: 10 Ton Morewear Goose Neck Dumpers

Post #2 by martyn williams » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:03 am

I am pretty sure that one of the gang will be able to provide the information you are looking for,glad to have you on board :thumbup:
Martyn

Holger
Site Admin
Flag: Sweden

Post #3 by Holger » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:45 am

Welcome to CMN Lionel!
Some resources:
How-To

XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by XS650 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:03 pm

Yes welcome Lionnel, I always thought the Corgi Unimog goose neck dumper was a figment of their imagination as tight fisted UK muckshifters wouldn't have bought the very very expensive Unimog , but now I know. Would be nice to see your pics . :thumbup:
516_l.jpg

2606_l.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not all those who wander are lost.

rowehillmaster
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by rowehillmaster » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:16 pm

.... I played with mine for hours - can you tell ? shes a bit sad now, but what memories, ..... in the muck under our swing - I had a terraced quarry !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Dumpers”