Liner dumper steering rack bearings

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
G.Scase

Liner dumper steering rack bearings

Post #1 by G.Scase » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:18 pm

Can anyone help?
I have recently purchased an old Liner Roughrider dumper and need new bearings for the steering rack or a replacement unit, both of which seem unobtainable. One suggestion is to have Phosphor bronze bushes made instead, but another opinion is they would wear out in no time. Not sure who is right or whether someone has a better option.
Any ideas would greatly appreciated.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Liner dumper steering rack bearings

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:37 am

Hi Graham welcome to the site.

Can you please tell us what type of bearings are fitted at the moment? If they are needle roller or taper roller etc.... then there should be an off the shelf replacement for them from a bearing supplier.
If there is no identification on them all you need is an old sample and a good bearing supplier should be able to provide you with a suitable replacement.
If they turned out to be a special bearing then you could replace them with phosphur bronze bushes, but the key here is to make sure that you have lube grooves cut into the bearing surface and a way of lubricating them, its easy to put a small hole through to them and put a 1/8"bsp grease nipple for this purpose.
Please note that it would not be possible to do this if the rack is pressurised with power steering oil or hydraulic oil, the main difference would be that you would rely on the power steering oil to lube the bushes in that instance.
Hope this helps.

Jeremy

Topic author
G.Scase

Post #3 by G.Scase » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:33 pm

Hi Jeremy,
The existing bearings are a three part thrust type i think but are completely shattered. I have tried many bearing companies but the size is 49mm outside with an internal 26mm. The nearest match is a taper bearing of 25mm by 50.24mm. The shaft is hardened and would have to be ground down then the cast housing machined out. From what you think the bronze bushes might be the best bet as the rack is filled with oil to lubricate. I think the engineering shops i have been to are not interested in doing the job which is why i'am getting different opinons. One said bronze bushes are no good as the forces involved are sideways not downward which would wear them out in no time, but i can't see what difference it makes.

Thanks very much for your reply
Graham

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:24 pm

Hi Graham,

If they are thrust type bearings this would make a difference and they could not be replaced by a taper bearing as there is no way to adjust the required pre-load for this type of bearing, now I know what the type of bearing it is, I really don't think that a phosphur bronze bearing would stand upto the load imposed on it.
Its very strange that bearing companies cannot supply you with the type of bearing that you require?
I would phone round and try some of the bigger companies like Eriks who took over what was Wyko or Hayley Bearings, I would also see what the next available larger thrust type bearing is available.
There must be a company that has a bearing of this type on the shelf, I would also Google it if I was you, you may be pleasantly surprised.
Let us know how you get on?

Jeremy

modelman093
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by modelman093 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:44 am

G.Scase wrote:Hi Jeremy,
The existing bearings are a three part thrust type i think but are completely shattered. I have tried many bearing companies but the size is 49mm outside with an internal 26mm. The nearest match is a taper bearing of 25mm by 50.24mm. The shaft is hardened and would have to be ground down then the cast housing machined out. From what you think the bronze bushes might be the best bet as the rack is filled with oil to lubricate. I think the engineering shops i have been to are not interested in doing the job which is why i'am getting different opinons. One said bronze bushes are no good as the forces involved are sideways not downward which would wear them out in no time, but i can't see what difference it makes.

Thanks very much for your reply
Graham

Hi Graham,
When you say 3 part thrust are they basically two hardened flat washers with a race sandwiched in between ? If so is it a needle or ball race?
Angus

Jeremy Rowland

Post #6 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:13 am

Hi Angus,

I guess it would be a ball race that was in between the thrust washers?

Jeremy

modelman093

Post #7 by modelman093 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:12 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:Hi Angus,

I guess it would be a ball race that was in between the thrust washers?

Jeremy

Looks like there is a 26mm bore x 40mm outer as a stock size. Not knowing what the thing looks like would it be possible to machine up a sleeve to go into the housing to accept the smaller outer dimension? May be this could work as a "get out of trouble" fix without making any permanent alterations to the rack for when/if the genuine article is found?
Angus

XS650

Post #8 by XS650 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:26 am

Not all those who wander are lost.

Topic author
G.Scase

Post #9 by G.Scase » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:55 pm

Hi,
It is similar and the bearings are in the same position so i assume they are the same type. I have been to another engineering shop yesturday and the fella thinks he can make the outter race cast iron and with new ball bearings should work. Only time will tell as i have been promised before and let down.
I will let you know how i get on and thanks to everyone for their input.

Graham

modelman093

Post #10 by modelman093 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:18 pm

Hi again!
Two things - I have some thrust races from Tuff Torq hydrostatic transmissions (we are the UK parts and service agent) that have an inner of 25.9mm and an outer of 47mm. The thickness of the"sandwich" is 11mm. If you think that they may be of any use, pm me with your address and I will send you a couple that have come out of warranty boxes to play with.
Secondly our bearing supplier has come up with one of 1" id and 2" od but for some reason the "sandwich" is about 3/4" thick - about £16 + vat each.
If any of this is of any interest, let me know.
Angus

Return to “Dumpers”