Re: George Fowell OR Fowler Dumpers

Post #171 by cobbadog » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:12 am

Nice one, glad it worked for you.
Cheers Cobba

E83Wvince
Flag: Great Britain

Post #172 by E83Wvince » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:59 pm

Hi cobba just a quick one have you changed a piston liner, I've got a fordson major with stuck pistons and no 3 liner is weeping into the sump I've stripped it down ready just asking questions before I start regards Vince

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #173 by cobbadog » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:56 am

Hi Vince,
Yes, we have changed the liners in a grey fergy. We bought an engine rebuild kit and stripped it down as an 'in frame' rebuild which left the block in place. We never had a stuck piston but still the piston and liner can come out together if need be, well they can on a fergy.
So with sump and head off and as many pistons out as possible you need to bump the liners up from underneath. Some times the liner hangs down below the internals of the block and a flat bar top and bottom with a length of all thread going through the plates will lift the liner up. Once it starts to move it should come out fairly easy providing you clean any and all rust n crap out that you can.
Are you using a rebuild kit that has liners pistons rings and gaskets? If so and you cannot remove that stuck piston it will be a case of using something that fits beside the conrod and against the piston and bump it up and out but you will need to remove that piston to get to the gudgeon pin.
Once you get to the assembly sides of things I cannot stress enough that the where or how ever the seal fits on the Ford (spectacle gasket on fergy or you may have "O" rings) that area MUST be spotlessly clean and smooth. We had to use a sealant under the spectacle gaskets on the fergy as the rust on the block made that area a bit uneven and did not want to have to do this again. End result was nothing but positive. Biggest thing was that Dee did it all other than me undoing the big tight bolts, lifting the head off and I fitted the rings.
I read recently that some Ford blocks were a bit porous so a sealant of some sort may still be needed. Cast iron was not the best quality during and after the war.
Cheers Cobba

dixie-normous

Post #174 by dixie-normous » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:38 am

Hi Vince, the Major liners have o rings (1 lower one on early blocks and an upper and lower on later blocks). The seal groove in the block is prone to corrosion but can be repaired with jb weld and the recess on top of the block also corrodes (tends to be worse on single o ring blocks) and as Cobba says, they must be clean and smooth. I use Wurth RTV silicone on the o rings, it seals them but also acts as lube to help the liner slide into place. The top of the liners needs to be between 2 and 4 thou above the gasket face on the block or the head gasket will never seal, there are shims available to raise it if needed, but if it is badly corroded it will need machining flat and shimming to height. It can take a while to get the correct liner protrusion but it's critical to get it right Also the top of the liner on one with a single o ring needs to be sealed with RTV, wellseal or similar to stop corrosion. The type of head gasket (copper or composite) also depends on what type of lip is on top of the liners. The pistons will come out in the liners if they're stuck, i have removed a liner with the engine in place by jacking a piece of wood from the floor to the bottom of the liner. They are a simple engine but used alot of combinations of parts over the years. Hope that helps
John
Black smoke don't mean it's broke, keep it flat out like a badger on a bypass

E83Wvince

Post #175 by E83Wvince » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:21 pm

Thanks for all the information it's a big help
I've got it stripped still in the tractor removed the sump pan today I filled all cylinders with diesel it's seeped away on 3 of them but no 3 is still full I'm removing the Conrod cap on Monday and trying the wood on a jack approach hopefully the liner will come out as 1 I've cleaned up the block and sprayed some of that purple stuff to check for cracks it's got none result
I'm not sure if it's 1 or 2 seals it's a 1961 the liner people say it's the year it used both I'll know more on Monday thanks again I'll keep you updated I'll try to put some pics on regards Vince

dixie-normous

Post #176 by dixie-normous » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:00 pm

Join the fordson forum Vince, lots of helpful people on there and loads of free workshop manual downloads
John
http://www.fordandfordson.co.uk/documen ... orum_.html

E83Wvince

Post #177 by E83Wvince » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:45 pm

I was a member but I cannot access it I've contacted them for a reason why still waiting for a response I joined never went on now my password won't work it's easier to ask cobba he's been there for me for a while even when I was I'll

dixie-normous

Post #178 by dixie-normous » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:50 pm

If you need any of the manuals pm me your email and i'll send them to you. Hopefully being a 1961 you have the liners with 2 seals, the recess in the top of the block is usually in better shape.

E83Wvince

Post #179 by E83Wvince » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:28 am

Thanks I'll have to find out how to pm it's something I've never done
LOL

Jeremy Rowland

Post #180 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:26 pm

E83Wvince wrote:Thanks I'll have to find out how to pm it's something I've never done
LOL

Vince, I have sent you some basic instructions for this. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Return to “Dumpers”