Winget 2S wheel nut thread size?

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Fil
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Winget 2S wheel nut thread size?

Post #11 by Fil » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:59 pm

The studs on these old Salisbury axles are screwed in to the hub, peened over and pinned from the back of the hub. No way of removing them without pulling the hub and drilling/grinding, or extreme force. Mine pulled out using the latter! The wheel nut was jammed on so tight, I ending up stripping the thread trying to undo it with the impact gun. See next post for the latest update...

Topic author
Fil
Flag: Great Britain

Post #12 by Fil » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:13 pm

Well folks, here's the (probably) last post in this saga!
I can confirm the wheel stud thread size is 5/8" X 14tpi.
I ended up buying another Salisbury 5HA axle off John Lewis (dumpers). Luckily he had one, and he's only 15 miles away, so I went over on Friday to pick it up. I then spent the rest of the day trying to pull the hub off the half shaft. A 10 tonne press was required and it went with a heck of a bang!
Anyway, the studs in this hub were in good shape (hence going for a hub swap rather than trying to replace the studs).
The studs in my original hub were so mullered the thread size wasnt clear. It was only once I got the decent hub from John Lewis that I could measure properly and chase the threads with my 5/8" die.
I think what had happened with the original hub is that someone had stuck some wheel nuts that were completely the wrong thread size and just smashed them on, buggering all 5 studs.
So the thread size is confirmed and I now have my little dumper back in service. On duty with an autumn clear up in the garden. Happy days!

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #13 by cobbadog » Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:37 pm

that is great news. I had to use a hydraulic puller driven by grease to remove the hub off my roughrider.
Cheers Cobba

Return to “Dumpers”