Welling and Crossley Dumper,Australia

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Chesapeake
Flag: Australia

Welling and Crossley Dumper,Australia

Post #1 by Chesapeake » Sun May 29, 2022 12:02 pm

Hello,I have just got hold of an old dumper that was built in Dandenong , Victoria in 1963. It's powered by a S12d wisconsin petrol engine and the driveline is predominantly made up of Holden car parts,ie, the diff, 3spd gearbox steering column and king pin assemblies.It was delivered to the Country Roads Board on the 20/12/1963 going by the CRB id plate still attached.The Holden components are consistent with early model Holdens of that era.I've been looking for info in the way of photos or any information on the net and so far have not seen another.Will try and attach some photos of what I have. Has anybody ever heard or seen one of these? Would really appreciate any ideas,info or leads on anyone that has one.Thanks, Luke.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Welling and Crossley Dumper,Australia

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun May 29, 2022 8:58 pm

Hi Luke and welcome :wave: must confess I have not heard of these before, it never ceases to amaze me just how many companies made dumpers. If you need to upload pictures, use the little 'upload Pic' tab on the top of the box where you type your written text. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
Chesapeake

Post #3 by Chesapeake » Tue May 31, 2022 10:56 am

Thanks mate. I've had a couple of goes at loading pics but failed. I'll keep trying.

Topic author
Chesapeake

Post #4 by Chesapeake » Tue May 31, 2022 11:01 am

Topic author
Chesapeake

Post #5 by Chesapeake » Tue May 31, 2022 11:39 am

Jeremy Rowland

Post #6 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:49 am

Luke, there is a CMN member who goes by the name 'Johnson Dumper' he may be able to add some information about your machine, you could always send him a 'PM' (private message) it looks a rare machine, I wonder if the alternator is an upgrade from a dynamo?

Jeremy

cobbadog

Post #7 by cobbadog » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:50 am

G'day Luke, what a bloody treasure you have there. I have not heard of them either and years back had seen many different Dumpers mainly on the NSW Water Board. Rear steer wheels look to be VW and old Holden front drive stud pattern looks to be HT drilling but those wheels are a mystery to me, definitely not Holden.
Sometimes sending an email to that department if they still exist may turn up some answers as to who sold or supplied it new but us Aussies have had a history of destroying history and not keeping records. I could almost bet that the steering box is one of Holdens parts made by Bishops in Melbourne the same as mine on the Liner Roughrider.
Keep us informed with any news please.
Cobba
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
Chesapeake

Post #8 by Chesapeake » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:09 pm

Hey Cobba, Thanks for the reply. Talked to a bloke that was on the CRB here, later to become all sorts of different names over the years and he does'nt remember them being used on the roads,thought maybe they were used in the depots,etc.... I reckon those wheels on the back are FJ Holden, the VW were a bit larger in the centre. Anyway, I've finally penciled in Saturday to see if I can get it going. If it lives and runs, there's two lines of thought.Build a bucket for it, or put a couple of hundred litres of water on the front with a pump and fire hose. Regards your Liner Roughrider, where was that built, and can you send some pics please.I think the heavy rims under the bucket were to handle more weight maybe. Bearing in mind that in 1963 , Holdens had 13" rims, these were probably manufactured to suit. Any way, thanks again. Luke.

cobbadog

Post #9 by cobbadog » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:35 am

Sorry Luke, I have been away on another holiday. I doubt that they would be FJ wheels although they look like it so most likely VW being a European built (UK) dumpy. Mine has 3 bolt centre and are Renault.
Cheers Cobba

Return to “Dumpers”