Benford 2 ton Dumper Petter PH2 Problems

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
GHDirect

Benford 2 ton Dumper Petter PH2 Problems

Post #1 by GHDirect » Mon May 23, 2022 11:26 pm

Hi All.
I need some advice on a Petter PH2 engine (electric start) that powers my old Benford 2 ton 4x4 dumper.
Currently it suffers a lack of power and has a suspicious weep of engine oil coming from an area at the bottom of Cylinder 2 (furthest from flywheel). Most noticeable when warm. Not sure whether the two are related.

I have had it 7-8 years. Only used it to build my bungalow past years so not overworked. When purchased it had enough power to take a 2 ton load and drive in 2nd gear along a level tarmac road. Now it can only manage a half load in 1st gear on same stretch.

It went through poor starting 18 months back and got its injectors cleaned and the fuel pumps and feeds rebuilt and assembled as to the manual.
It now starts without issue and sounds as though both cylinders are functional, it revs but lacks power.
The oil weep has been around a time and I did think it was caused by crankcase pressure (worn pistons etc) so fitted some breather to the rocker covers but this hasn’t stopped the weep. Can’t say for sure where the oil is coming from but seems to appear from bottom of cylinder two and sit on crankcase area. It could even be a blown lower cylinder gasket. :insomnia: Attach a picture which shows area.

To date I have not taken anything major apart but ask the following about these engines.
How can you tell that both cylinders are firing or giving power.
Can you take one cylinder off without disturbing the other.
Anyone have experience of similar issues with these old engines.

Regards GHDirect

essexpete

Re: Benford 2 ton Dumper Petter PH2 Problems

Post #2 by essexpete » Tue May 24, 2022 9:34 am

Well I guess you could chug slowly with a small load and briefly decompress each cylinder to see if there is any difference.
What colour is the smoke under load?

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue May 24, 2022 9:39 am

Hi Graham welcome to the site :wave: I am sure there will be plenty of good advice for you from different members on here, although I am not familiar with these engines, my advice is to start with the simple things first, so check that the engine is getting a good clean air supply, check that there is not any flexi hose on the inlet side that could collapse internally cutting off the air supply, check there is a good clean fuel feed, fit a separate temporary fuel tank if you have one, and use a gravity feed.
What is the compression like is it good? And don't forget to check that the brakes are fully releasing when taken off, a dragging brake can have the same affects, take it from there and let us know how you get on.
The other thing you mentioned was the pumps being rebuilt, was it initially okay after this work had been done or did it lack power after the work had been done? If the latter you may have a timing issue with the pumps.

Jeremy

Topic author
GHDirect

Post #4 by GHDirect » Tue May 24, 2022 10:00 am

Hi All.

I like the idea of chugging slowly with load and use decompressor per cylinder to see any difference.
Best idea is to check the cylinder compression.
Anyone done this on these engines?
Can you stuff a compression tester in place of an injector.

Keep the knowledge coming

Regards

GHDirect

Topic author
GHDirect

Post #5 by GHDirect » Tue May 24, 2022 10:03 am

Forgot to say.
When started and run no load doesn't really smoke.
Full throttle under load and you see the usual cloud of black smoke which if you back off reduces
Regards
GHDirect

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #6 by cobbadog » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:41 am

I agree start with simple things first. When the engine is running does the breather on the rocker cover push air in and out? If so you need rings or a head gasket at least. If you go that far then lift the cylinders off and replace the gaskets at the bottom of the cylinders, give the bore a good hone and fit new rings and head gaskets.
Good question if the engine ran good after the injector and pump service.
Cheers Cobba

Return to “Dumpers”