Nimbus non starter.....

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Tillywolves
Flag: Great Britain

Nimbus non starter.....

Post #1 by Tillywolves » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:14 pm

I decided to get the dumper started last week, but it woudnt fire up. Tried and tried to wang it over but nothing. I tried to bleed the fuel system but couldnt get the fuel from the pump to the injector. So, today I took off the fuel pump, to find both the fuel pumo, and the actuator from the engine gummed up, and stuck fast. Well, I havent started the damn thing for a year or two, and water and grime had entered the base of the fuel pump, and stuck it fast... A good dose of penetrating oil, a hammer to persuade the actuator to unstick itself, and a good few wiggles of the priming lever, and it was back to normal. Not sure if there is supposed to be a gasket at the bottom of the fuel pump, but its going to get some instant gasket when I refit the fuel pump.

Ive dismantled most of the fuel pump, and its a little worm, so Ive ordered a rebuild kit. My question is, has anyone rebuild a Bryce fuel pump, and have any tips....

essexpete

Re: Nimbus non starter.....

Post #2 by essexpete » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:39 pm

Jeremy might know, but there may be a thread buried on CMN, perhaps even by the great Fred, that covers the Petter fuel pumps.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:15 pm

essexpete wrote:Jeremy might know, but there may be a thread buried on CMN, perhaps even by the great Fred, that covers the Petter fuel pumps.

Argh there is a topic on this somewhere on here, so hunt through the dumper section and you should come across it, also try typing Bryce into the search at the top right of the page.

Jeremy

Whitlock 505
Flag: Wales

Post #4 by Whitlock 505 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:51 pm

Tillywolves wrote:I decided to get the dumper started last week, but it woudnt fire up. Tried and tried to wang it over but nothing. I tried to bleed the fuel system but couldnt get the fuel from the pump to the injector. So, today I took off the fuel pump, to find both the fuel pumo, and the actuator from the engine gummed up, and stuck fast. Well, I havent started the damn thing for a year or two, and water and grime had entered the base of the fuel pump, and stuck it fast... A good dose of penetrating oil, a hammer to persuade the actuator to unstick itself, and a good few wiggles of the priming lever, and it was back to normal. Not sure if there is supposed to be a gasket at the bottom of the fuel pump, but its going to get some instant gasket when I refit the fuel pump.

Ive dismantled most of the fuel pump, and its a little worm, so Ive ordered a rebuild kit. My question is, has anyone rebuild a Bryce fuel pump, and have any tips....

I've tried to rebuild a bryce/lucas fuel pump if you search in bryce fuel pump, the end result was i had to buy a new one as there are not serviceable parts once you free up what you have done.
In answer to should there be a gasket at the bottom of the pump the answer is yes, they are shims that also double up as a gasket and there are different thicknesses that raise the pump body up or down depending on the model of engine and rpm to alter the cam and pump roller contact, although the gaskets are quite thin if there's none in there it may be that the timing is out and it's not firing at the right time.

Ian

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #5 by Tillywolves » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:19 pm

It ran well before I left the poor girl alone for a few years. Rebuild kit arrived this morning. Also found the main tappet return spring broken

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #6 by Tillywolves » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:00 pm

Not sure why you say it's not serviceable. Got it stripped down and just taking off the last of the paint with a bath of paint remover. Going to stick it in the parts washer in the morning. Rebuild sometime in the week.
Last edited by Tillywolves on Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #7 by Tillywolves » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:05 pm

Does anyone know if the internals need lubrication when being reassembled, and what type. I'd say a smear of red grease....

Jeremy Rowland

Post #8 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:05 am

Tillywolves wrote:Does anyone know if the internals need lubrication when being reassembled, and what type. I'd say a smear of red grease....

The injector plunger should be lubricated with some clean diesel, you can add a bit of thin engine oil to that, I would use engine oil to lube the rest.

Jeremy

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #9 by Tillywolves » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:03 pm

Many thanks Jeremy. Having just read the manual again, it does state clean out with fresh fuel...

Whitlock 505
Flag: Wales

Post #10 by Whitlock 505 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:12 pm

Tillywolves wrote:Not sure why you say it's not serviceable. Got it stripped down and just taking off the last of the paint with a bath of paint remover. Going to stick it in the parts washer in the morning. Rebuild sometime in the week.

That explains why I said not serviceable because I had a different type pump :doh:
As they say a picture paints a thousand words
Good Luck
Ian

Return to “Dumpers”