Dumper bucket holes

Discuss dumpers here

essexpete

Re: Dumper bucket holes

Post #41 by essexpete » Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:41 am

gecko.cx wrote:Had another idea.
Some tractor wheels are made with a flat centre making redrilling very easy.

Centre hole and hub size might be a problem but it might be possible to lay the centre of the old over the new, tack and drill. Could offer up to check centralising before welding properly.

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #42 by cobbadog » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:46 am

You may even get lucky enough to use 3 of the 6 stud holes if they are on the right PCD (pitch circle diameter).
Cheers Cobba

gecko.cx

Post #43 by gecko.cx » Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:54 pm

Centre hole and hub size might be a problem but it might be possible to lay the centre of the old over the new, tack and drill. Could offer up to check centralising before welding properly.

I figure the the centre hole isn't that critical, but you'll snap a stud if the PCD isn't right.

cobbadog wrote:You may even get lucky enough to use 3 of the 6 stud holes if they are on the right PCD (pitch circle diameter).

That'd be far too easy :) :) (wouldn't it be nice though!)

This'lldo
Flag: Great Britain

Post #44 by This'lldo » Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:42 pm

Couldn't contact the guy with the pair of wheels on Facebook. Maybe they were already sold. However a friend at the pumping station museum, where our dumper is, has located a suitable pair, with usable tyres. But they are "Buyer collects" and 200 miles away. Enter another pumping station buddy who says he's up that way for Christmas and is happy to pick them up. So problem is solved.

cobbadog

Post #45 by cobbadog » Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:36 am

Well that worked out ok for you. Even if your mate was not going the 200 mile trip it still would have been worth the drive becasue of how rare they seem to be.
Cheers Cobba

gecko.cx

Post #46 by gecko.cx » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:18 am

cobbadog wrote:Well that worked out ok for you. Even if your mate was not going the 200 mile trip it still would have been worth the drive because of how rare they seem to be.

That's the Oz concept of distance!
I once rode from melbourne to canberra (700km) for a house warming party. :lol:

essexpete

Post #47 by essexpete » Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:08 am

gecko.cx wrote:
cobbadog wrote:Well that worked out ok for you. Even if your mate was not going the 200 mile trip it still would have been worth the drive because of how rare they seem to be.

That's the Oz concept of distance!
I once rode from melbourne to canberra (700km) for a house warming party. :lol:

That reminds about the joke with the Aussi inviting a new neighbour to a party!

This'lldo

Post #48 by This'lldo » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:33 pm

There's no rush now that I know a pair of wheels can be got and there's plenty other stuff to get on with in the mean time. I've no objection to doing the miles but as I do not own a car and ride a motorbike (though it amazes some people what you can lash onto a bike) I think 2 steel wheels with tyres would be beyond a joke.
Front end of chassis is now fettled. Hubs & brakes going back together. New joints on the steering rod. Just a bit more welding to tidy the bucket and then the only major bit left to do is fitting the engine's drive pulley in the correct location on the Petter. (replacement engine didn't have this but parts form original have been saved to do the job) Then there is fitting the belt and making a new belt guard. Then it should be just checking lube circulation and other final checks and she'll be a runner.

Slooby

Post #49 by Slooby » Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:58 pm

This'lldo wrote: Does anybody know what these 3 stud 16" wheels came from?

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but the PCD will almost certainly be that of a pre-war Morris.

Our 50's Thwaites Nimline has Morris Commercial 5 stud 16" rims on the front (I know your's are 3 stud) which are the same PCD as Land Rover, whicle at the 19" back the wheels are 3 stud and came straight from a Morris 8

One of my friends is Chairman, and Technical Director of the Bullnose Morris club so tends to know a thing or two about Morris bits and where they can be found...if he doesn't have them already...
CMN Stuff: MF65, Thwaites Nimline, JCB 3CX
Projects: S11a 88" V8 Hybrid, 2 x S111 109"s, Mk11 Mini, Harrison L5A :doh:
Ish projects: T25 Camper, ST675R
Just added: Alpine S5 & Bridgeport Mk2 :wtf:
Sorely Missed: Impreza, E39 M5

This'lldo

Post #50 by This'lldo » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:07 pm

Well the wheels we got were not much better than the pair we already had !
Rusty holes but not conveniently place at the edge of the rim. So one was sacrificed to provide sound portions to patch the bad bits of our original pair.
When I say "patched" I mean a very thorough job. A full penetration stick weld and a well nigh invisible mend. Now painted, no one can tell where the mend is.
The surviving one of the spare pair we bought will also have its rust damage fixed so we will actually have a spare.
The rest of the work has progressed well an I am confident that it will be standing on its repaired wheels and looking like a dumper for our Easter Monday steaming open day, and if not actualy running for the May Day bank holiday event, should certainly be in action for our two day event "Steam on the l
Levels" at trhe end of May.
I would attach photos but cannot seem to get my desktop to accept photos from my phone, but I will post some as soon as I can deal with that.

Return to “Dumpers”