Dumper bucket holes

Discuss dumpers here

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Dumper bucket holes

Post #31 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:48 pm

gecko.cx wrote:At this point in history, probably the best option is a modern 16" truck rim and an adapter plate drilled to suit your three stud hub.

Nice one Ian that is another way to accomplish the same ends, like Cobba says the only three stud hubs that I am aware of were French.

Jeremy

This'lldo
Flag: Great Britain

Post #32 by This'lldo » Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:13 pm

I agree that using a 16" truck wheel is a possibility. However there is a lot of effort involved in finding one that, for instance, is not too wide and before resorting to that, for me the simplest course as a retired fabricator/welder is to see whether the original wheel can be saved.
Assuming not too great an area of the wheel has to be cut away before a sound edge can be found to weld to, a sound welded repair as strong as the original wheel should be possible.
The visible rust holes at present extend along about 8" of the rim and about an inch in width. When I've had a go at it with a needle gun I'll have a better idea of how much has to be cut out and replaced.
I do welcome suggestions of other ways of solving this problem, as something other than a welded patch repair may turn out to be necessary.

dixie-normous

Post #33 by dixie-normous » Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:51 pm

Just found this while browsing, don't know if it's any help
John
https://hmvf.co.uk/topic/13904-british- ... -what-car/
Black smoke don't mean it's broke, keep it flat out like a badger on a bypass

dixie-normous

Post #34 by dixie-normous » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:28 pm

Black smoke don't mean it's broke, keep it flat out like a badger on a bypass

essexpete

Post #35 by essexpete » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:53 pm

No doubt you have professional welding skills Pete but to recreate a rim would be more difficult than cutting in your centre into the like of an old 6.50 16 land rover wheel?

This'lldo

Post #36 by This'lldo » Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:22 pm

Looked at a pair of 5 stud 16" landy wheels. More trouble than its worth. Offset is 2" different. Anything is possible, and maybe necessary in the end but l'll try my idea first.

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #37 by cobbadog » Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:36 am

dixie has posted just what you need and they come complete with tyres.
Cutting out the old naive (centre) and welding that back in at the correct offset is your next best option and cutting out out the rusty bit and welding in new is not as strong as a new rim assembly and can be dangerous.
I was involved in selling forklift tyres and wheels for just over 10 years and have seen the outcome of dangerous repairs.
I guess because I am well over 65 now I am more cautious than those who are not but I have seen what goes wrong with repaired rims. If you decide to do the repair please make sure that you warn the tyre fitter before he fits and inflates the tyre.
Cheers Cobba

cobbadog

Post #38 by cobbadog » Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:38 am

Have a look at another thread running now. There are a pair of 3 stud wheels and tyres for sale in the UK very cheap.

Sorry for the late reply.
Cheers Cobba

This'lldo

Post #39 by This'lldo » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:46 pm

I like the look of that pair of wheels and I did try contacting him but as its only through facebook it didn't want work.
For good reasons, I avoid Facebook whenever I can. It seems its so long ago that I last logged in that they don't know my current mobile number and there seems no way of updating it.
If anybody can contact the guy on my behalf and somehow get us in touch, I'd be much obliged.
Good progress on other bits of the job. Got the front axle/bucket carrier assembly removed. Amazingly there were no nasty discoveries! Even the big rubber bush that allos the front axle to tilt is good enough to go again and the steering pivot pin was actually still well greased. So its just a clean up, repaint, lube and reassemble.

gecko.cx

Post #40 by gecko.cx » Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:45 am

Had another idea.
Some tractor wheels are made with a flat centre making redrilling very easy.

Return to “Dumpers”