Thwaites Nimbus Dumper Gearbox

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Andyinfrance
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Thwaites Nimbus Dumper Gearbox

Post #11 by Andyinfrance » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:58 am

Matchless?58 wrote:Think that is a newage 40m gearbox . Same one in my Orion dumper . Welding looks absolutely rough

Hi thanks for the info, I have downloaded the newage 40M manual but the casing is different on my dumper unless it’s a very early newage box?

Matchless?58

Post #12 by Matchless?58 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:12 am

Are the internals in the box the same as the 40m Manuel that you have already downloaded ? Maybe wait and see when you get it opened up . These old dumpers often had parts interchanged over the years so the gearbox might have been swapped . Think the basic internal layout of gearboxes was very similar on most of them . Orion is rhd with a larger load carrying capacity . Nimbus LHD with a smaller bucket . Great old machines very reliable and simple when they are up and running .

essexpete

Post #13 by essexpete » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:51 pm

Andyinfrance wrote:
Matchless?58 wrote:Think that is a newage 40m gearbox . Same one in my Orion dumper . Welding looks absolutely rough

Hi, I thought my dumper was an Orion but after seeing pictures of an Nimbus, its definitely an Nimbus which I recon is around early 1960’s. Welding is bad and watergascenteredvtge Bixente, but hearing seem ok :D

A quick guide would be the rear axle. Orions heavier and 5 stud, Nimbus 3 stud. I have a feeling that older Nimbus was LHD where as Orion was RHD.

Topic author
Andyinfrance

Post #14 by Andyinfrance » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:27 am

Thanks for the feedback, after looking at the newage 40m manual it shows access to gearbox via the top plate. But my gearbox splits at the centreline to gain access, do you think this could be an earlier newage 40m box?

Topic author
Andyinfrance

Post #15 by Andyinfrance » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:34 am

essexpete wrote:
Andyinfrance wrote:

Hi, I thought my dumper was an Orion but after seeing pictures of an Nimbus, its definitely an Nimbus which I recon is around early 1960’s. Welding is bad and has water ingress, but bearings seem ok :D

A quick guide would be the rear axle. Orions heavier and 5 stud, Nimbus 3 stud. I have a feeling that older Nimbus was LHD where as Orion was RHD.

The rear steer axle has 5 studs same as the front Salisbury axle, it’s also a right hand drive with a Petter PH2 engine.
I have been trawling the internet and I can’t seem to find anything on the gearbox which is fitted, maybe it’s an exchange that a previous owner has fitted?

essexpete

Post #16 by essexpete » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:25 pm

Well I don't think you have a Nimbus. Probably the Orion or Tusker? Nimbus only a single cylinder Petter.

Topic author
Andyinfrance

Post #17 by Andyinfrance » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:50 pm

:P
Matchless?58 wrote:Are the internals in the box the same as the 40m Manuel that you have already downloaded ? Maybe wait and see when you get it opened up . These old dumpers often had parts interchanged over the years so the gearbox might have been swapped . Think the basic internal layout of gearboxes was very similar on most of them . Orion is rhd with a larger load carrying capacity . Nimbus LHD with a smaller bucket . Great old machines very reliable and simple when they are up and running .

Yeah I think that’s what I will do, already can see the indent ball bearing and spring are missing, probably why it keeps jumping out of gear.
Fully agree that these machines are great, quite an art to getting them started, it’s moved about 50 tons of concrete and soil no bother. I e renewed the clutch shoes and had a new sprocket made, all work perfectly now. Just need the gearbox and axle seals doing and it will be good for another 60 years.

Topic author
Andyinfrance

Post #18 by Andyinfrance » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:54 pm

essexpete wrote:Well I don't think you have a Nimbus. Probably the Orion or Tusker? Nimbus only a single cylinder Petter.

I originally thought it was an Orion but the pictures of an Orion look different than mine. I will take some photos of the dumper and post them tomorrow, she a little rusty but has a lot of life left in her, it will be my summer project to bring her back to glory.

Topic author
Andyinfrance

Post #19 by Andyinfrance » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:56 pm

essexpete wrote:Well I don't think you have a Nimbus. Probably the Orion or Tusker? Nimbus only a single cylinder Petter.

Here are a few pictures of the dumper, not in her best condition.

Picture of the engine

More photos of the gearbox

On top of the gearbox are these markings not sure if they are the make and type?

essexpete

Post #20 by essexpete » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:05 pm

I stand corrected the Orion should have a single cylinder.

New bloke with a Thwaites Orion dumper

I think you have a Tusker model, 2 cylinder that sometimes was fitted with a small 180 backhoe.

Return to “Dumpers”