Front wheel steering dumper?

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
This'lldo
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Front wheel steering dumper?

Post #11 by This'lldo » Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:40 pm

Thanks, but that's the one I already found and seems to deal with the "Type A" which is better than nothing but is different in several areas from the GF that we have.

sdarmstrong
Flag: Ireland

Post #12 by sdarmstrong » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:47 pm

I have a fully restored George Fowell “A” type . Very interested in seeing photos of yours .

Topic author
This'lldo

Post #13 by This'lldo » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:06 pm

Sorry not to have replied sooner. Here is our GF. As you'll see, even with the motor out, it is a different model from yours. The clearest difference that shows even in very shadowy photos is that yours, and most others have the drive belt running fore and aft beside the off side wheel.
Ours has the gearbox under the seat with a 90 degree take off to the belt which runs across the chassis, under the drivers legs.
At the moment I am refurbishing the belt drive tensioning pivots, rods & levers. Understanduing how it all operates is difficult as the "TypeA" parts diagram is no help at all.
If anybody has a GF of the type in this photo, a photo of the drive belt tensioning system assembled, would be a huge help.

General progress: The Petter AVA1 is out. Cylinder head and fuel injection pump system is fully overhauled. Piston & cylinder look ready to go.
Down below, I have shoveled an inch of sludge from the floor of the crankcase and found the oil pump, the early plunger type. The big end journal is scored which may be a problem as the flywheel will not come off the crank and so tha crank cannot come out for a regrind. But we have a cunning plan to manually dress the big end journal with the crank in situ. The guy who came up with this idea is very capable and would not suggest it if he didn't think there was a sporting chance of success.

rattle-and-roll

Post #14 by rattle-and-roll » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:30 pm

It looks like there are different configurations of the Fowell Type A. The one's that were powered by petrol engines (PA1) and one's powered by diesel engines (AVA or PH). You can see the difference in the images shown.

rattle-and-roll

Post #15 by rattle-and-roll » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:00 pm

These are the images for the last post...

rattle-and-roll

Post #16 by rattle-and-roll » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:06 pm

This is the nearest I can get to the linkage...it's not my dumper! Mine's the one with the petrol engine (Petter PA1).

Topic author
This'lldo

Post #17 by This'lldo » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:39 pm

Thanks. That is a help. Since I've been working on taking the slop out of the belt tensioning mechs. I'm beginning to understand it. I even resorted to fabricating an entirely new tensioning roller carrier as the original was so very badly worn at every point.
Bare in mind that this dumper is being restored to be a useful tool around our pumping station site as well as an exhibit, so it has to start, go, steer, tip & stop as it was designed to do.
Had the good fortune to secure a replacement engine. A Petter AVA1 like the original, but a later version with the external oil filter. Apparently it hasn't run for 10 years or so but there is every sign that it will be a better bet than the one that came on the dumper.
I've got the rear end of the chassis cleaned and painted. We went for Massey Ferguson Red tractor paint as this is a close match to original paint under all the crud. No sign of orange anywhere except the brake bar and connected bits, obviously swapped from another GF at some point. The idea of painting this area now is to have it ready when the engine is ready to bolt in.
Pics will follow.

XS650

Post #18 by XS650 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:57 pm

Borrowed from the British Dumper thread is an ad showing a diesel G.F. from the Winget era.
What the tie up was I do not know, possibly marketing only . As ever although George Fowlers seemed quite popular info is scarce. They did not seem to produce many brochures or press articles .
Craig
Not all those who wander are lost.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #19 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:09 am

Craig, I know that at one time Winget also supplied Poclain excavators, possibly before Poclain did their own marketing in the UK so supplying other manufacturers products was not new to them.

Jeremy

Topic author
This'lldo

Post #20 by This'lldo » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:01 am

Thanks. I've got that one and it dosnt help answer the question.
I can only assume that our example is the earlier model, with its drivers seat offset to the left of the steering wheel. Its hardly an arrangement that could be described as an improvement if the driver sitting directly behind the steering wheel was the earlier type.

Return to “Dumpers”