Diesel filter leak

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Greengrass1
Flag: Great Britain

Diesel filter leak

Post #1 by Greengrass1 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:24 pm

Evening all, the glass bowl fuel filter on my Petter engine is slowly leaking through the threads at the top. Could I have suggestions how to resolve this? I have changed the filter and am guessing I am missing a seal? Many thanks.

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Re: Diesel filter leak

Post #2 by cobbadog » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:36 pm

Gday Alex,
A better description of where it is leaking as there are a couple of different filter bodies. I would take a guess that it is an alloy body with the glass bowl and that the fuel is leaking from either or bothe fuel line inlet or outlet. Now if you have pipes as the fuel line then the thread is leaking from either not tight enough, a stripped thread or the flare or olive is not sitting square to the seat. Carefully try 'nipping' up the nut to see if it is loose but be very careful as you do not want to strip the thread. If the thread is firm then undo it and remove the pipe from the filter body check for any dirt etc and refit and nip it up and try again. Sometimes the alloy is stripped and there are a few options from total replacement of the filter body, drill it out and fit an adaptor to suit the fuel line or a thread sealant suitable for diesel. I have used Stag Jointing Paste with great sucess and if you do use a sealant keep fuel away from the selant until it has cured fully, at least 24 hours.
Another place these filter bodies can leak is the cork gasket between the glass bowl and the body. Again readily available from tractor spare part shops but make sure it is for fuel as some gaskets made have neophrine in the cork and swell up and leak badly after a short time. They are a very simple filter and to make it easier on yourself a couple of nuts and bolts to undo and you can work on it at your bench. Hope this helps you and let us know how you get on.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
Greengrass1
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Diesel filter leak

Post #3 by Greengrass1 » Thu May 06, 2021 10:22 pm

Thanks for this information. The issue has now been fixed. Onto the next job now. Thanks again

Return to “Dumpers”