Classic dumper rescue and ident

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Hoarder of rust
Flag: Great Britain

Classic dumper rescue and ident

Post #1 by Hoarder of rust » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:50 am

Hello

Lockdown means I have to do some home schooling. I always envied those schools were the kids built cars in tech. A car is too expensive but we needed a dumper and so we are rescuing a "classic". Not concourse but the important thing is it allows the kids and me to learn the basics and then it can help out around the place.

I have admired Wingets, partly for after sales service, but a Winget did not come up so instead we bought a random. It would be great if you could help identify the dumper itself and the key components.

I think it is a Barford and given its size possibly a Bantam. The bodywork might be fabricated. It would very useful to pin down the model as that might make parts easier to find.

Can anyone recognise the engine? Is it an ST1? I doubt it as it has a cap through which you can view the valves and a compression switch with three positions. If anyone knows why this would be I will be very grateful?

A pretty urgent part needed is an air filter and housing. Currently we have a mount or bracket topped with a nut but nothing else. I have looked for something to complete this and whilst i can see other Lister's with such an air filter I can't see any for sale.

Hope you can help. Looking forward to progress and I 'll try to keep you updated- if interested.

David

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Re: Classic dumper rescue and ident

Post #2 by cobbadog » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:04 am

G'Day and welcome David.
Nice little dumper you have there. Have a look around the engine block near the injector and there should be an engine ID plate there. Write down all the information on that plate or take a clear pic of it and post up here. This will tell you the Model of the engine, HP, and the serial number will be able to age the engine which is usually the age of the dumper. As for make sorry I cannot help you out here so keep looking through these pages and you may come across another one that will tell you what it is.
You are lucky over there that there are places to contact that sell parts for a lot of dumpers but I do not know them and another member local to you will be able to help you out. That style of air cleaner is a basic one and will be a simple upturned can that bolts into position and the paper element sits in between them.
It is a great project for you and the kids to be involved with as it just might spark some interest in them to carry on with this hobby of saving old rusty bits n pieces. Beware though it is a contagious disease that tends to out grow your shed/s. In the mean time sit tight and either one will turn up at the usual online auction sites or a member will help you out more than I can.
Cheers Cobba

v1230nm

Post #3 by v1230nm » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:28 pm

Hi David.

Listers did produce a range of engines in the ST range. In your case a single cylinder denotes it is an ST1. A company called Sleemen and Hawken are agents for Lister parts and can be found on eBay. They are based in Teignmouth in Devon and can be contacted directly at sales@sleeman-hawken.co.uk . It would be advisable to quote the full engine number to them when requesting spare parts.

I hope this helps.

Neil. (v1230nm)

XS650

Post #4 by XS650 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:04 pm

Yes pretty sure it is a Barford Bantam , later made by them well known lawyers Stothert and Pitt. :D
Great project as all functions are visible and straightforward probably a lot better than what are now complicated cars.
Keep us posted :thumbup:
Craig
s-l1600 (2).jpg
71841116_2476782395875070_6887549120827883520_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not all those who wander are lost.

Topic author
Hoarder of rust

Post #5 by Hoarder of rust » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:38 pm

Craig, Neil Cobbadog.

Thanks so much all excellent replies.

The engine number is clearly very important but just have a look at my ID plate.

No details remain. Typical.

Is there an engine number anywhere else on the machine?

I will research the SR1 given that it is mentioned in the documents uploaded by Craig.

Thanks again, David

Slooby

Post #6 by Slooby » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:20 pm

Normally the engine ID plates are stamped rather than embossed

Have you tried taking a thin piece of paper to it and rubbing a pencil lead over the paper to see if it brings anything up?
CMN Stuff: MF65, Thwaites Nimline, JCB 3CX
Projects: S11a 88" V8 Hybrid, 2 x S111 109"s, Mk11 Mini, Harrison L5A :doh:
Ish projects: T25 Camper, ST675R
Just added: Alpine S5 & Bridgeport Mk2 :wtf:
Sorely Missed: Impreza, E39 M5

Topic author
Hoarder of rust

Post #7 by Hoarder of rust » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:00 pm

Good idea Slooby but it is painted on! No embossing.

The oil filter is the bolted on kind not the spin on kind, this may be a clue.

The HP looks to be 7.75 or 7.15 . This first figure corelates to some Lister SR1s.

v1230nm

Post #8 by v1230nm » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:20 pm

I am fairly certain that the oil filters on the ST range were spin on, so based on the information Craig has supplied and the type of filter you have fitted, an SR1 engine looks to be a reasonably safe bet.

Neil. (v1230nm)

Slooby

Post #9 by Slooby » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:14 am

Hoarder of rust wrote:Good idea Slooby but it is painted on! No embossing.

Well that was inconsiderate of them!

The plate on our little Thwaites' Lister has long since corroded to dust and fallen off
CMN Stuff: MF65, Thwaites Nimline, JCB 3CX
Projects: S11a 88" V8 Hybrid, 2 x S111 109"s, Mk11 Mini, Harrison L5A :doh:
Ish projects: T25 Camper, ST675R
Just added: Alpine S5 & Bridgeport Mk2 :wtf:
Sorely Missed: Impreza, E39 M5

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #10 by cobbadog » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:00 am

Something that also may help in lifting the numbers off your id plate is to hold a torch on an angle to the plate and the shadows can highlight the numbers and letters.
I have also rubbed some soft chalk over numbers as well with good results. Have a young person with you who just may have better eye sight than I do when it come to this type of headache.
It will be a case of trying everything you can think of but please do not rub it with wet n dry sand paper you will destroy what is left.
Another way is to use some paint thinners to wipe away any remaining paint and leave only any stamped numbers but I would not like to do this as it takes away the other information as well.
Cheers Cobba

Return to “Dumpers”