My Thwaites(?) 3Ton!

Discuss dumpers here

essexpete

Re: My Thwaites(?) 3Ton!

Post #11 by essexpete » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:11 pm

The Peters had disposable filters before that era. I am surprised the Listers did not have them. Our now long gone Lister CS had a kind of washable gauze/felt coiled hose in a removable canister and that was from the 50s.

Topic author
singlemalt
Flag: Great Britain

Post #12 by singlemalt » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:21 am

FOWLER MAN wrote:Hello again Matt,

I should have said that some of the PJ engines were fitted with full flow filters in an external canister as an option, so you may have been supplied with a filter element in error.
My dumper didn't have one and if as you say you can't see an external filter canister, (which would be quite obvious), yours will be the same.

Fred

P.S. The crank case inspection covers will be opposite side to the injector pumps as would the filter canister if fitted.

Many thanks for that Fred - haven't bought an oil filter yet so I'm OK on that front. I can see there are three panels, the centre one with the dipstick poking out of it, which is also the most accessible (the other 2 are partially obscured by the starter motor on one end and the dynamo on the other).

I have a new air filter - which seems to be the same as a Land Rover air filter from a 200 or 300 tdi in a Defender! And I've got new hydraulic and fuel filters on the way.

On another note - would anyone have an idea about what type of brake fluid for this machine? It looks very old and grotty in the reservoir and I want to change it. I'm guessing something pretty standard, but dot 3 or 4?

And also transmission oil - any ideas of best option there?

Thanks again for the help.

Whitlock 505
Flag: Wales

Post #13 by Whitlock 505 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:56 pm

Slooby wrote:Bit of rooting around and I found mention of a similar machine on Nick Drew's 'Diggerman' blog as pictured by Jeremy Rowland: Twaites Alldrive 3 Ton

Both of them post on here so they might spot this at somepoint and add a bit more detail

Jeremy this was the thread with the dumper thwaites 3 ton alldrive on

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #14 by cobbadog » Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:56 am

Usually you can use a higher grade of brake fluid but never a lower grade oil so go with the higher.
Cheers Cobba

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Post #15 by gecko.cx » Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:01 pm

singlemalt wrote:On another note - would anyone have an idea about what type of brake fluid for this machine? It looks very old and grotty in the reservoir and I want to change it. I'm guessing something pretty standard, but dot 3 or 4?

Make very sure it's a DOT fluid before adding any.
Most use a light hydraulic oil.
The current manual lists DTE-24 as the oil to use, but anything around the weight would be fine.

Return to “Dumpers”