Newage 40M2 Spring Retainer

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Webs29
Flag: Wales

Newage 40M2 Spring Retainer

Post #1 by Webs29 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:09 pm

Hi all, I'm having an issue with my Newage 40M gearbox. Sometimes when I try to select a gear, the stick seems to jump out of place an I cant select certain gears until I take the top cover off and put the gearbox back into neutral by lining up those gates on each side of the plate. Looking at parts diagrams I appear to be missing the Spring Retainer.

Here is a pic of what it looks like currently:

I'm assuming the spring retainer clips onto the end of the gearstick and compresses the spring? Also does it matter which orientation the spring is?

Thanks

essexpete

Re: Newage 40M2 Spring Retainer

Post #2 by essexpete » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:54 pm

The spring retainer kind of clips on with the lugs. It must have broken up and gone down in the bottom. The other thing that does not help is when the pivot ball wears it can make the gear lever very sloppy. I had one that I built up with weld and ground off by hand that made quite an improvement.
From the photo it looks like the box has suffered from the usual water ingress down the stick. Either place a bucket over the gear lever or source a new gator and seal on the stick.

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Re: Newage 40M2 Spring Retainer

Post #3 by cobbadog » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:50 am

Definitely is missing but likely to be found inside the gearbox. Go hunting for the old one and see if by building it all up with weld you can get ti to stay in place. Going by your link at least you know that if you need a new one you can buy it and if you are doing that buy another boot to stop the water getting inside, this bit is important. While repairing your lever drain and flush the gearbox out with diesel fuel and replace with fresh new oil, you won't regret it.
Cheers Cobba

Return to “Dumpers”