Petter PH1 difficult to start

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
edbangingamateur
Flag: Great Britain

Petter PH1 difficult to start

Post #1 by edbangingamateur » Sat May 30, 2020 9:47 am

Hi, I'm new here. I have an old dumper, not sure of make but it has a Petter PH1 engine. It will run with difficulty starting. Generally need to use east start and try many times. Injector has been out and seems to have a good spray of fuel mist. Thing is when it does start it seems to prefer to run in reverse, exhaust coming out of air intake. When using start handle I let go of it before dropping compression lever and engine kicks backwards into reverse. If I try to keep turning on the handle the right way it just stops dead and does not fire. It has been running previously correctly and the only thing that I've done to it to try and improve starting is cleaned and bled fuel system. I realy need to get it working to use it for a rebuilding job. As a 70 year old moving several tonnes of ruble in a barrow is not an option! HELP!

mechman

Re: Petter PH1 difficult to start

Post #2 by mechman » Sat May 30, 2020 10:24 am

Hi tony.
If you haven't changed the pump that should rule the timing out. what about a blocked exhaust port/system it does happen. There are 2 sets of timing marks on the flywheel, they are between the block and the flywheel. (these engines can run in either direction).
Norm.

essexpete

Post #3 by essexpete » Sat May 30, 2020 11:49 am

See if we can raise Fred.

Maybe stupid question but are you putting the fuel rack in to the start position.
Could the exhaust valve be stuck?

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Sat May 30, 2020 11:55 am

Thinking perhaps the above cannot be the cause as you can swing with the decompressor.

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #5 by cobbadog » Sat May 30, 2020 1:44 pm

Are you sure you are cranking it in the right direction? I know how stupid that sounds but a guy on the Lister Forum had this problem and he had the wrong crank and was starting it up backwards. Once he fixed that problem it ran perfectly.
What is the compression like?
Cheers Cobba

Matchless?58

Post #6 by Matchless?58 » Sat May 30, 2020 1:52 pm

Hi I think the exhaust could be blocked solid with carbon and I would definitely pull that off and have a look at that and the air filter before I did anything else . Doesn't sound like a fuel problem as you have had the injector off and cleaned the fuel lines out plus it will eventually run .
Let us know how you get on .
Cheers Chris

Topic author
edbangingamateur

Post #7 by edbangingamateur » Sat May 30, 2020 7:33 pm

Hi all, thanks for your replies but yes I am sure I'm turning it i the right direction(clockwise) on the handle and also the handle has a chamfered pawl (think that's the right word) which will only allow it to be turned one way. Exhaust has been removed to check for blockages and was clean. I am now trying it without air inlet or exhaust manifolds on it. It took me ages to realise that it was going backwards with exhaust coming out of the air filter but the clue was when I actually drove it. Put it in first and it went in reverse!
Compression seams to me to be OK, I can just about turn it over on compression. Fuel rack is pushed open as per starting instructions. Exhaust valve would not be stuck because it can only stick open, then no compression. If it stuck closed then bent or broken push rod.I did wonder if the exhaust chanel in the head might be blocked but of course when it runs this is drawing in air so must be clear. Another thing I can't understand is that looking at the manifold side of the engine inlet port(clean a little fuel? in it) is on my right. Exhaust port (dirty carboned up) is on my left but the rocker that the decompression lever works on is on my right, above inlet port. Both ports seem to go straight, IE> not cross over. But is it not so that decompression is always done using the exhaust valve??

Whitlock 505
Flag: Wales

Post #8 by Whitlock 505 » Sat May 30, 2020 8:29 pm

Hi
I’m having problems starting a lister as well, if you go onto the Winget dumper website you can download a petter ph1 manual free of charge which may give you some more pointers, it’s frustrating I know

Ian

Jeremy Rowland

Post #9 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat May 30, 2020 10:49 pm

It is possible for these engines to run backwards; all I can suggest is that you don't let it 'rock' when trying to start it, perhaps Fred will see this topic and offer some of his expert advice.

Jeremy

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #10 by cobbadog » Sun May 31, 2020 7:58 am

I would research your engine number complete with any letters that are stamped with the numbers to confirm what model you do have. With Lister sometimes there are CC or CW stamped with the number and this is Counter Clockwise and Clockwise.
The small tapered pawl in your starting handle is reversible, well most are and can be pushed outwards and rotated to do a CC or CW engine.
I think it would be unusual to use the inlet valve as the decompression valve and becasue the engine is blowing exhaust gas out the air inlet this is what I feel is happening and it is running backwards. I hope I'm wrong but at least it is an easy fix.
Cheers Cobba

Return to “Dumpers”