Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Jonserinio
Flag: Wales

Newage 40M2 Gearbox

Post #1 by Jonserinio » Mon May 25, 2020 12:58 am

Hello all,
This is my first post.
Ive got an old Thwaites 4000 dumper which I use only occasionally has been very good.

It recently started winning so I took it apart and found the needle bearing had disintegrated and the housing was worn where the needle bearing sat.
I had an engineering firm put in a bush where the gearbox housing was worn on the inside. They pressed in the new needle bearing which is fine.

Ive just put in a new primary shaft and new bearings in the Newage gearbox .

Ive put it all back together which seemed ok but when I started the dumper the gearbox does not seem to be in neutral and seems in gear going forward slightly.
Any Ideas please why this may happen.
Thanks

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Re: Newage 40M2 Gearbox

Post #2 by cobbadog » Mon May 25, 2020 7:51 am

Check the way the selector has been installed assuming it is a manual gearbox.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
Jonserinio
Flag: Wales

Post #3 by Jonserinio » Mon May 25, 2020 10:41 am

Thanks Cobba for your help
I pushed the Selector into the interlock assembly.
When setting the gears with the selector fork,how would I know if the gearbox is in Neutral before pushing in the selector? Would it simply be easy to move the output shaft? Im not sure if I haven't aligned the clevis that hold the Interlock assembly correctly when re installing them.
Thanks

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #4 by cobbadog » Mon May 25, 2020 1:12 pm

Best way is to jack a wheel up and try to turn it. OR as you suggest try to rotate the output shaft if the shaft is not connected to the final drive. Not too sure what it looks like when you are looking at the inside of the gearbox but some have a pair of gates that the selector lever fits into and can move from one side to the other. These gates should be aligned. So if there is a pair og gates, move one as far forward as possible then back as far as possible and there should be a neutral position on that side. Then do the same with the other gate. This is when the box is in neutral and the selector lever fits into that opening.
Is there any signs of wear on the selector lever as if it has worn away? If so this too could be the problem but an easy one to fix. Try again to load a pic after compressing the image.
Cheers Cobba

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Mon May 25, 2020 4:16 pm

I don't know much about these gearboxes literally years since I have had one apart! One thing could you clarify what you mean by trying to move forward slightly?

Return to “Dumpers”