Steering wheel replacement

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Perardu1959
Flag: Great Britain

Steering wheel replacement

Post #1 by Perardu1959 » Fri May 08, 2020 1:24 pm

Hi,
I have a 1969 Benford 1 ton? dumper which has a some point in its life had the steering wheel replaced with one similar to that fitted to Hillman Imp. This works loose and results in some quite hairy situations. The steering shaft is 7/8 inch diameter with 48 splines, however all the ones which I have found are approx 3/4 inch. Does anyone know where I might be able to obtain a replacement of the correct size?

Matchless?58
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Steering wheel replacement

Post #2 by Matchless?58 » Fri May 08, 2020 6:00 pm

Hi you could try David Cornwallis . He is good for most vintage dumper spares . Just put it into Google and all the info you need should come up .
If he can't supply one you will have to trawl ebay until you find someone who is breaking a benford dumper . They sometimes pop up for spares .
Hope this helps
Regards Chris

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri May 08, 2020 10:15 pm

Tim if you can't get a replacement and please keep in mind that the splined shaft that the wheel fits on may also be worn, I'd be tempted to use a centre punch and hammer to help tighten the wheel on the shaft, when you put it back also use a strong grade of Loctite, just ask your local bearing supplier which is the strongest or look online at the Loctite website.
Also depending on various aspects you may be able to get a drill in and drill through the wheel and shaft, use a hardened tapered dowel (assuming you are able to do that) again use some Loctite, if you opt to drill just be careful you don't want the whole thing snapping so use a small a drill and dowel as possible. Hope this helps.

Jeremy

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #4 by cobbadog » Sat May 09, 2020 7:42 am

Another option for a repair would be to use some shim metal. Cut a strip and wrap it around the spline with some above the top of the shaft and replace the steering wheel. Before putting the nut on try it for any free-play, if still there put more shim in. If it is that bad use an aluminum can for the shim material.
Cheers Cobba

Return to “Dumpers”