Barford (of Belton) site Dumpers

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Yewman
Flag: Great Britain

Barford (of Belton) site Dumpers

Post #1 by Yewman » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:12 am

To start with a brief history, researched from many Aveling Barford books and other documents I have.
Barfords of Belton was a subsidiary company in the Aveling Barford Group. In 1946, Barford (Agricultural) Ltd was formed to take over the manufacture and sale of A-B's range of Dairy, Agricultural and Horticultural Equipment. Initially it was operated within the main factory, although it had separate workshops, and admin and sales staff.
There was already another factory situated between the villages of Belton and Syston which housed the Spares and Service Department, fully equipped with its own machinery and stores. Barford Agricultural moved there in 1953.
In 1958, the factory was expanded, and in 1960 was renamed Barfords of Belton. They were completely self contained and manufactured a wide range of Agricultural Equipment, including the famous Barford Atom 2 wheel tractor,
The factory was closed by that wonderful destroyer of British industry Leyland in 1978.
Production of some products were sold to Stothert and Pitt.
Although the first A-B site dumper entered production in 1937, I am hoping to get copies of brochures or other info on their later dumpers.
The 75 Dumper was introduced in 1958, followed by the 150.
Later editions in the 1960's and 70's were very similar and called Bantam. Bison, Beaver etc.
Any info up to 1978, would be appreciated,

When Aveling Barford was taken over by Wordsworth Group, the Barford name was rekindled in 1990's for a range of dumpers bearing a striking resemblance to Thwaites, and others at the time.
I am after the earlier machines pre 1978.

Bog Myrtle

Re: Barford (of Belton) site Dumpers

Post #2 by Bog Myrtle » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:16 pm

Hello. I have what I think is a Barford 100 of 1960-66 vintage - any thoughts welcome.
It has a Petter AVA1 and is still working hauling timber and logs in Devon. It's road legal but was re-registered by a previous owner incorrectly as a Winget. The original reg is known but the chassis plate is missing.
Andy

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:49 pm

Hi Andy and welcome to the site :wave: somebody on here is bound to recognise your machine.

Jeremy

Topic author
Yewman

Post #4 by Yewman » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:57 am

Has no-one else replied to this?
If you look on my Facebook page "Aveling Barford Machines" there is an album, Barfords of Belton with photos and catalogues for all the dumpers.
If you don't do facebook let me know.

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #5 by cobbadog » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:16 am

Not everyone has a FaceAche page and I am one of those few. Not everyone who views the thread replies unless it is helpful or constructive so that is why so few replies at a guess.
Cheers Cobba

essexpete

Post #6 by essexpete » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:57 am

Bog Myrtle wrote:Hello. I have what I think is a Barford 100 of 1960-66 vintage - any thoughts welcome.
It has a Petter AVA1 and is still working hauling timber and logs in Devon. It's road legal but was re-registered by a previous owner incorrectly as a Winget. The original reg is known but the chassis plate is missing.
Andy

I think you have an early 60s Winget there? Possibly borne out by quick DVLA search.

Topic author
Yewman

Post #7 by Yewman » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:55 am

I replied to this a few minutes ago, but it doesn't seem to have uploaded, so this may be a repeat.
The owner of the dumpers says in his post it was incorrectly registered as a Winget.
If you look at the Winget website history page, their old skips are a different shape.
The Barford one in my original photo is a 75, the blue one is a type 100,

Jeremy Rowland

Post #8 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:05 pm

Yewman wrote:Has no-one else replied to this?
If you look on my Facebook page "Aveling Barford Machines" there is an album, Barfords of Belton with photos and catalogues for all the dumpers.
If you don't do facebook let me know.

Hi Paul, as Cobba says everybody does not have a facebook page, myself included.

Jeremy

Topic author
Yewman

Post #9 by Yewman » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:31 pm

You can register for Facebook without having any personal information visible, in fact less than on this forum.
I only started a Facebook page for Aveling Barford as it would have been extreemly expensive to do as i have done and upload nearly 3,000 photos and pieces of information onto a website. It takes seconds to upload one or several photos.
Then you have to pay to publicise your own website, or no-one knows it's there. Search engines don't pick up your page just because it's on the internet.
The advantage with Facebook is that people from all over the world can see it, and i get enquiries every day requesting information and help with service problems.
Facebook may have some undesireable stuff on there , but so does the internet in general, and you only need to look at what you want.
As I said, you don't need to put any personal information which is visible on Facebook.

Topic author
Yewman

Post #10 by Yewman » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:34 pm

Anyway, if you look at my post I said there is a lot of info on Facebook but if you don't do Facebook get in touch with me.

Return to “Dumpers”