Dumper identification

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Ronan Keaveney
Flag: Ireland

Dumper identification

Post #1 by Ronan Keaveney » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:28 am

Hi all. I'm a new member to this great forum... I've recently bought a dumper that I'm planning to restore, it dosent need a lot apart from some work on the brakes and steering box... I can't identify what kind of dumper it is as the Vin plate is missing... I think it's a Benford.. I will try and post some pictures and hopefully someone will be able to identify make, model and year.. thank you.. Ronan K
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Re: Dumper identification

Post #2 by cobbadog » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:22 am

G'Day Ronan,
Welcome to the Forum and I like your new toy. Interestingly it is a left hand drive model, or rather in the pic it is. Brakes should be a straight forward job and are usually a mechanical set up so remove the wheels and drums and inspect the condition of what is in there. Your brakes maybe ok but have oil on them from the diff. So explore that and take a pic of your brakes so others closer maybe able to help with who to contact for those bits. Re-lining brake shoes is a simple thing as new linings of various widths are readily available from your local brake shop or even a tractor shop.
Now the steering problem. Have someone wriggle the steering wheel for you and follow the drag links along and inspect each ball joint or pivot point along the way, even look for a worn rear pivot pin on the axle. To do that you will need to jack it up and put it on stands so that bot wheels are off the ground and then grab the axle and see if it moves back and forth. If it does a simple new bush and pivot pins or make an over size pin and ream the bush. With My Liner Roughrider I had a badly worn steering peg inside the steering box. I looked at doing all sorts of things to fix it and in the end I simply welded the peg back up to size and filed it smooth, replaced the oil seal which originally was a felt seal but now is a proper oil seal and filled it with SAE140 oil.
Something that might help others identify your Dumpy is what type of engine is it. Somewhere on the engine will be an engine ID plate with all the details like HP, and RPM and a serial number. Usually will be a Petter or a Lister. Look on the top of the gearbox for a ID tag for that and see what info you can write down about it. I am guessing that it runs so once you have sorted out all the issues give it a Birthday and change the oils, engine, gearbox and diff plus all the filters, engine oil, fuel and air and then it will repay you with reliability.
Good luck with it and keep us informed.
Cheers Cobba

essexpete

Post #3 by essexpete » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:37 am

It looks to me like a Thwaites Nimbus or similar but the rear panel is different and also it does not seem to be chain driven with and offset cranking position. Perhaps the later machines had a different drive train?

Topic author
Ronan Keaveney

Post #4 by Ronan Keaveney » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:38 pm

Great... thanks a million... it's in pretty good shape but when the jobs are done and it's blasted and painted itl be a nice little dumper.... il post more pictures soon! Thanks again...

Topic author
Ronan Keaveney

Post #5 by Ronan Keaveney » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:04 pm

Topic author
Ronan Keaveney

Post #6 by Ronan Keaveney » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:06 pm

Topic author
Ronan Keaveney

Post #7 by Ronan Keaveney » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:06 pm

Topic author
Ronan Keaveney

Post #8 by Ronan Keaveney » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:09 pm

Can anyone tell is it a Benford or thwaites or maybe winget... what year it could possibly be ? I will have another look and see can i find chassis number... Thanks again guys for all your help...

Johnson Dumper
Flag: Germany

Post #9 by Johnson Dumper » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:06 am

Hello,
this Dumper is a Thwaites 'Nimline', 'Nimbus' or 'Sprite' :wave:

Topic author
Ronan Keaveney

Post #10 by Ronan Keaveney » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:08 pm

Thanks so much for that Johnson... Cheers..

Return to “Dumpers”