barford 9 ton dumper

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
v8detroit
Flag: Ireland

barford 9 ton dumper

Post #1 by v8detroit » Wed May 01, 2019 11:35 pm

looking for a gear knob for my 1999 barford sx9000 dumper .it has the electric clutch switch on it ,cant seem to find one anywhere .any ideas thanks.

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Re: barford 9 ton dumper

Post #2 by cobbadog » Thu May 02, 2019 6:19 am

Not sure if the gear knob you are after is special in some way but tractor shop sell all kinds of generic gear knobs without any shift patterns on them. I also found some on truck spare parts sellers sites as well.
If a shift pattern is required have an engraver put the pattern on it for you then wipe white paint into the grooves.
Cheers Cobba

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu May 02, 2019 7:49 am

v8detroit wrote:looking for a gear knob for my 1999 barford sx9000 dumper .it has the electric clutch switch on it ,cant seem to find one anywhere .any ideas thanks.

Do you have a photo of the said gear knob? Can you take it apart to repair the switch? And what thread is it?

Jeremy

Topic author
v8detroit

Post #4 by v8detroit » Thu May 02, 2019 2:14 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:
v8detroit wrote:looking for a gear knob for my 1999 barford sx9000 dumper .it has the electric clutch switch on it ,cant seem to find one anywhere .any ideas thanks.

Do you have a photo of the said gear knob? Can you take it apart to repair the switch? And what thread is it?

Jeremy

thanks Jeremy ,don't have any photo as the knob is missing .it is like the old jcb 3cx gearstick knob with the clutch switch on the knob. the dumper does not have a clutch pedal .
Last edited by v8detroit on Thu May 02, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
v8detroit

Post #5 by v8detroit » Thu May 02, 2019 2:16 pm

cobbadog wrote:Not sure if the gear knob you are after is special in some way but tractor shop sell all kinds of generic gear knobs without any shift patterns on them. I also found some on truck spare parts sellers sites as well.
If a shift pattern is required have an engraver put the pattern on it for you then wipe white paint into the grooves.

I can get a gear knob but need the one with a electric clutch switch like on the old jcb 3cx`s .cant find one on the internet ebay etc.thanks for your reply.

cobbadog

Post #6 by cobbadog » Fri May 03, 2019 7:04 am

Sorry mate, I did not know there was such an animal. If you already have an idea of a similar switch try it to see if it works for you. First find a nut to suit the thread of the gear shit, then a bolt to take with you to the JCB supplier to see if the bolt screws in. There will be a high chance that if all you need is the knob with a switch that it would do the job for you.
Does the switch cut the drive or what is it's job?
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
v8detroit

Post #7 by v8detroit » Sat May 04, 2019 12:24 am

cobbadog wrote:Sorry mate, I did not know there was such an animal. If you already have an idea of a similar switch try it to see if it works for you. First find a nut to suit the thread of the gear shit, then a bolt to take with you to the JCB supplier to see if the bolt screws in. There will be a high chance that if all you need is the knob with a switch that it would do the job for you.
Does the switch cut the drive or what is it's job?

thanks John ,I could get one from jcb but would be expensive .

cobbadog

Post #8 by cobbadog » Sat May 04, 2019 7:55 am

Is this switch a simple press button switch that completes the circuit only while holding the button down or is it a toggle type switch?
Either way is it possible to improvise and adapt a switch next to a gear knob mounted on a bracket that fits under the knob and on top of the gear lever shaft?
Anything from earth moving companies always comes at a premium price. Is there any wreckers of JCB equipment close by that you can look at?
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
v8detroit

Post #9 by v8detroit » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:32 pm

this is the gear knob I need

crabbtrux

Post #10 by crabbtrux » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:11 am

I'm sure you're sorted by now, but for anyone else getting here by searching for Barford gearknobs etc, PES Plant at Exeter bought the remnants of the Barford business, spares etc. The chap on the phone pretty much knows all the spare part numbers in his head, it's amazing! Anyway, these knobs are about £45 plus Vat from them. I'm just ordering one!

Return to “Dumpers”