Benford 150 dumper

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Randell
Flag: Great Britain

Benford 150 dumper

Post #1 by Randell » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:15 pm

Hi
I am trying to get some info. A friend has a benford 150 dumper that has quite a few hours on it and has started making an awful noise in 1st 2nd and reverse. 3rd seems to be fine but takes some effort to get into and is not a suitable gear to do anything in. Upon investigation it's just started making more of a rattling noise from the gearbox in neutral.
Ive done a oil flush and change on the gearbox and still the same noise occurs. Looks like the front gearbox seal is leaking and when emptying oil was quite thick and brown. Does anyone have any tips or ideas on how to get it working properly?
vin number is slbdnnocet05acg25. the gearbox plate is rather worn so can't identify what gearbox it is. I think a newage 40m Something. I've found the parts and user manual on your website and they look to be helpful but I'm a little stuck with this gearbox.

Whitlock 505
Flag: Wales

Re: Benford 150 dumper

Post #2 by Whitlock 505 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:58 pm

I've just done a newage 40'm gearbox with the exact same symptoms! There's a bearing on the front end of the box which wears and then allows the main shaft to lift giving the problems with 1st and 2nd but ok into 3rd, took the box out and had to rebuild the casing as the bearing had worn away and worn into the casing, chipped gear on 1st, £560 later and while I was down that low i omitted to change the clutch plate so I don't need to tell you whats gone now, hard old strip down as mine had a transfer box attached as its a 4 wheel drive Benford TT2000

Ian

Topic author
Randell

Post #3 by Randell » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:10 am

Ouch that's costly. Im glad to see I'm not on my own with this issue. Can it be done in situ or does it need to be removed from the dumper?

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Post #4 by cobbadog » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:36 am

I would suggest that it is pull the gearbox out in order for you to strip it.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
Randell

Post #5 by Randell » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:46 am

Ok thanks. Can anyone tell me exactly what gearbox I have so I can try and look for the right manual.

Whitlock 505
Flag: Wales

Post #6 by Whitlock 505 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:02 pm

I would pull it out of the dumper, I changed stuff while I was down that far like the main shaft and I had to change 1st gear as I said but also new gaskets bearings etc i think I used L&SPLANT engineers who were really good will try and post some pics

Topic author
Randell

Post #7 by Randell » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:53 pm

I've sourced the parts and back out with the dumper. I've stripped down the gearbox as per the Winget instructions. However. The layshaft needle bearing is a fraction of a mm too small and slops in and out of the casing. I ordered all the parts from L&S and fingers crossed this seems to be the only issue. Can I get away with wrapping the bearing in PTFE to get that fraction of a mm back and make a seal?

Return to “Dumpers”