Thwaites 4WD 3T Dumper Restore

Discuss dumpers here

cobbadog
Flag: Australia

Re: Thwaites 4WD 3T Dumper Restore

Post #21 by cobbadog » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:36 am

Yep, those are the 'dots' I mentioned when assembling the pump on the big CD 8hp Lister. Thanks Fred for posting them.
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
swalshire

Post #22 by swalshire » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:22 pm

Thanks Men, got the shafts out & re-aligned via the threaded bar & oversized socked approach. By Joe there were well tight, a slow job. Anyhow, next question, the book says during refit the leaded wire used to measure the internal gap from piston to head should be 0.813-0.889 mm. This is measured by putting a piece of solder wire there & measuring after 2 revolutions.

If I dont use any gasket or shims I get a lead thickness of 0.8mm, is the figure in manual correct ?

During stripdown there was gaskets & shims present on all pistons, without shims & gaskets isn't the valve going to hit piston ?

Is the wire flattened by the piston against the valve or piston against the head ? I don't have the valve pushrods fitted to rockers during my measurements.

Guys just to follow up on this, I have it sorted, I mis-read the intention of the manual, the solder wire is not placed at either end of the gudgeon pin end sides, it is placed 90deg opposite (put one of camshaft side, put other on exhaust manifold side, that way the pistons do not interfere with the wire during its compression. That way the gap is measured from piston top face to cylinder head face (google bump clearance). The gap as stated in manual IS correct. Also I used 0.5mm solder wire wrapped to look like a coil spring. Got consistent results with it.

I left my original questions there in case some other member comes with the same query. I'm learning all the time on the re-build

Topic author
swalshire

Post #23 by swalshire » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:07 pm

Folks,

Can anyone tell me what oil pressure I should be seeing when I connect a gauge to the engine ?

cobbadog

Post #24 by cobbadog » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:25 am

Sorry I dont have the specs for oil pressure but I am very curious as to what you are getting on your gauge and does it "pulse' as the engine is running?
Cheers Cobba

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #25 by FOWLER MAN » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:28 am

Hi,
Oil pressure should be between 30 and 45 lbs. per sq. in. That's roughly between 2 and a little over 3 kg. per sq. cm.

Fred

Topic author
swalshire

Post #26 by swalshire » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:43 am

thanks folks, greatly appreciated. The cast sump is bolted straight onto the chassis, I was wondering if it would be better to mount it on rubber mounts or is better as is ?

cobbadog

Post #27 by cobbadog » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:34 am

I would not change the original design. If it is not broke, don't fix it!
Cheers Cobba

Topic author
swalshire

Post #28 by swalshire » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:50 pm

Folks, a question on the axles on the dumper I have, its a 7000 Mk1 series 4WD. Do you know if the axle oil when poured into diff casing also fills the brake casings on either side OR is that a separate section that takes its own oil ?

Jeremy Rowland

Post #29 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:09 pm

Hi Sean, it is very hard to see from that photograph because unless it's the camera angle the level plug on the diff casing looks higher than on the brake casings? What does it say in the manual?

Jeremy

cobbadog

Post #30 by cobbadog » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:28 am

At a guess only, I think that each is it's own oil reservoir. As mentioned the diff appears to be higher than the reduction boxes and is what I base my thoughts on. I would definitely use the SAE90/140 for the reduction boxes and what ever is recommended for the diff. I recently did the rear end up in our David Brown Cropmaster which I did use SAE140 in the reduction boxes and the SAE50 in the gearbox/diff area.

Did you pull the axles out on this job? If so you would have noticed an axle seal or a polished part of the axle inline with the inner side of the reduction box. This would confirm that they are all separate.
Cheers Cobba

Return to “Dumpers”