Hi from Newbie with dumper ID questions

Discuss dumpers here

mechman
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Hi from Newbie with dumper ID questions

Post #11 by mechman » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:12 pm

Very interesting this one, try phoning Winget on 01204 854650 they are helpful.

Topic author
Crazy Harry

Post #12 by Crazy Harry » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:39 pm

mechman wrote:Very interesting this one, try phoning Winget on 01204 854650 they are helpful.

Yea, I still don't think its a 4S on the basis of the ph1 engine (rather than ph2 in yours) and the rear wheels being a 3 stud fitment (4S is five stud rears in the documents and from the photo in your thread from what I can make out).

Given the inconsistencies between the illustrations in the opening sections and the specification drawings in all the documents I wonder if the sheets illustrating the 3S are later drawings. Having said that I think I will have to email Winget - wish I could find some chassis ID first!

Topic author
Crazy Harry

Post #13 by Crazy Harry » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:56 pm

Quick update,

I emailed Winget this morning and was surprised and very impressed to get a reply from Steve Hodge in a couple of hours - fantastic. I have a Winget 3S.

The not too good news is that with my ID plate lost from the tinwork I can't get a build date. Although I have the engine number and so do Winget it is not practical to cross reference it to find the build sheet.

I have searched all over the internet and can't find a list of build dates for Petter engines that provide numbers and time line other than the start and end of production ranges. In fact even materials referenced from the Lister - Petter forum have differing start dates for the ph1 engine production. This got me thinking - how about I create the list? I can't be the only person banging my head against the wall when collectively we have the answer.

To the nearest 100 (to protect information and prevent cloning) my ph1 engine number is 36000 (that is it falls between 36000 and 36100) if you know your ph1 engine number and the date your machine (whatever it is) was produced let me know and I will collate a time line against numbers. So what do you think ph1 owners?

My intention would be to run this across other stationery engine and vintage sites/forums - more input more accuracy. I may be a newbie here but I'm used to working with data. Unless of course you have access to the type of production records I'm looking for.

mechman

Post #14 by mechman » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:25 pm

I think the PH1 and the PH2 had a production run of about 30 years between 1960ish to 1990ish, we also run a Winget 2000b which has PH1 in it and it runs very well after a lot of TLC. Could you put some pics up of the starter motor set up (curious) I've communicated several times with Mr Hodge, a very helpful chap.
Norm.

Topic author
Crazy Harry

Post #15 by Crazy Harry » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:30 am

Hi Norm,

I'm home today so will sort you some photo's later on.

I've found one forum where the production run for the ph1 is stated as 1956 onwards. Hence my thoughts about compiling a list of engine numbers (say in blocks of say 100 or 500 to keep individuals information confidential) with known build dates for the machines they are used in. To be honest I have no idea what volume the ph1 was produced in but if we also know the manufacturer of the machine it may be possible to identify production down to a few weeks window; which in turn might make finding the build history possible.

The bigger the data base - that is the more people who supply details the more accurately engines can be dated.

I know there will be some cases where engines have sat in store but at least people can get a sense of how old their machine is. I'm very open to comments by others before I start a new thread in a few days time.

mechman

Post #16 by mechman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:08 pm

The PH2 is all BSW & BSF but the PH1 uses UNF & UNC (I think) so they must have modded their design sometime during the production run. I use the term modded loosely as I have had the heads off both these engines, the PH2 uses BSW spanners and the PH1 AF spanners. The PH1 a is later model than the PH2 yet it still had BSF threads on the throttle linkages, so quite a mix and match. I suppose it also depends on what the previous owners have had to hand when repairs have been carried out.
Norm.

Return to “Dumpers”