Petter ph2 slow to turn on hand start

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Jonm
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Petter ph2 slow to turn on hand start

Post #11 by Jonm » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:53 am

Just an update. I have managed to get the engine turning on the hand crank better, hopefully it is free enough to start it. Basically I go to the machine every day, put a little diesel down the bores and turn the engine over, by hamd. I am now sorting out the fuel supply. The fuel tank is actually part of the chassis so it is not possible to remove it. I cleaned the tank out when I bought the machine, I have now found the outlet fitting to the tank was completely full of black hard gunge so am sorting that out. One fuel pump and both injectors work, the other fuel pump is hopefully ok as well.

I will let you know how I get on.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #12 by FOWLER MAN » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:01 pm

Hi Jon,
I know your engine has probably suffered a partial seizure from standing, but something often overlooked with these engines is the engine oil grade. The recommended oil is an SAE 20 and even SAE 10 in cold climates.
I know from experience that the drag created by a heavier oil, ( say SAE 30 and some multi-grades ), makes the engine much heavier to swing and difficult to start.
Good luck,

Fred

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #13 by Mrsmackpaul » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:27 pm

Fred thats a good thought about the oil
I reckon even in the very mild climate I live in on a cold morning that oil makes a big difference when trying to crank something over with a crook battery
I also feel oil becomes thicker with age and use, I have no way of checking this but it sure feels that way when giving things a oil change that dont do much work

Jon perhaps it might be worth changing the oil for diesel in the sump and see what happens, as in does it become nice and easy to wind over and what else comes out of the sump when the diesel is drained as it should flow nice and quick then

Chamberlain tractors use sae 10 oil in the PTO clutch and its almost like water and if its not used the PTO has that much drag it would tear your arm off when disengaged

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #14 by FOWLER MAN » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:09 pm

Yes Paul,
I have often run an engine with a mixture of diesel and oil in the sump to flush it out.
It won't hurt to run it slowly for 10 or 20 minutes with a 50/50 mixture.
The other thing is that if there's oil standing in the piston crown recess it will increase the compression ratio making it difficult if not impossible to swing it over when the injectors are back in.

Fred

hair bear

Post #15 by hair bear » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:56 pm

If you try diesel mix in the sump you might want to have a co2 extinguisher to hand just in case there's any seepage past the rings and it runs away. A good long blast up the air intake should stop it, or if the air intake is round jam a tennis ball in it!
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Topic author
Jonm

Post #16 by Jonm » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:34 am

Many thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement. Oil grade is something I will look at. With regard to my last post I included two pictures of my latest purchase, a fork lift, actually I did not mean to post the pictures here and they are irrelevant to this post.

I managed to sort out the fuel pump, basically removed it, filled it with fuel amd managed to free the rack which was jammed. I then refitted the fuel pump, bled everything, attached the injectors to the fuel lines but with the injectors in the open where I could see the fuel spray. Then cranked it over and injectors seemed to work. I then fitted the injectors and got some help in the form of someone young and fit, my son in law. He cranked it over whilst I did the technical bit of operating the manual pump primers and decompression lever, it fired up first time. Left it running for ten minutes and now it turns over nice and easily on the hand crank.

I have now refitted the chain to the clutch/gearbox so next will be to see if brakes are seized, clutch works and if hydraulics work. I know the clutch needs looking at as it would slip after fairly heavy use. It looks like it is made from a car drum brake so I should be able to sort out some new shoes or get the existing ones relined. I just have to work out how to get it apart.

On a different note, is it possible to get email notifications when someone replies to this post, I am conscious that fred commented nearly a week ago and I have only just seen his helpful comment.

hair bear

Post #17 by hair bear » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:15 pm

Result!!!

If you look near the top right of the page, you'll see your user name. If you click it, a drop down will give you 'control panel'. Click it and you should be able to set your notifications.
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Return to “Dumpers”