Liner Rough Rider 'personnel carrier'

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
MartinWestbrooke
Flag: Australia

Liner Rough Rider 'personnel carrier'

Post #1 by MartinWestbrooke » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:18 am

[quote][/quote]Hi all. I have recently acquired a Liner Rough Rider to add to the Benford tipper already in the collection. Its however has a 'personnel carrier' configuration which appears to be original. It would certainly have been a rough ride. It is fitted with a two cylinder Lister diesel. It has an electric starter , starts easily and runs well. After some work on the brakes it now also stops! The Benford can be seen on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8edUzcj_mug Some pics of the Liner attached . Feedback welcome. Martin

hair bear
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Liner Rough Rider 'personnel carrier'

Post #2 by hair bear » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:26 am

Hi Martin, welcome along.
An interesting beastie. At a glance I would have thought more of a quarry or works maintenance truck than personnel carrier. If the left front tyre is original it suggest it carried a fair bit of weight on paved surfaces. Any history with it? I'm guessing the yellow box by the battery is an easy access precleaner for the air intake so for use in dusty conditions perhaps. Loving the ABC on the pedals!
Looking at the front it reminds me of the back end of something military but I can't think what.
Nice find and it's definitely different!
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Topic author
MartinWestbrooke
Flag: Australia

Post #3 by MartinWestbrooke » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:15 am

Hi Rob. Note that the crane is my addition for moving my collection of stationary engines around. My understanding is that it came from the Alcoa smelter at Point Henry Geelong. Interestingly I have seen another photo on the web with an identical frame around the driving and passenger seats. Cheers. Martin

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:21 pm

Hi Martin and welcome :wave: as Rob says a very interesting and different machine you have there, nice one! :thumbup:

Jeremy

Return to “Dumpers”