Cold start on Benford 1999 5 ton Dumper

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
mickdoc6238
Flag: France

Cold start on Benford 1999 5 ton Dumper

Post #1 by mickdoc6238 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:16 pm

Hi Guys
Last year I purchased a Benford 5ton dumper for the odd job around the farm and the guy who sold me the dumper told me to turn the Key Three quarters of the way for 20 seconds for the cold start.During the summer the dumper always fired up after a few turns of the enginge but now it's colder this method is no longer working and today I had to recharge the Battery as it would not start.

I am now wondering if the way I am trying is not right or maybe there is a cable problem from the key.

Does anyone out there know about the cold starts on these dumpers and point me in the rght direction to maybe tracing the problem.
I have tried to included a picture of the dash panel but having problems up-loading so hope it works

Thanks for any help on this
Micks
images/userpix/63500_2USKYBVGB800C1484756391.jpg

Topic author
mickdoc6238

Re: Cold start on Benford 1999 5 ton Dumper

Post #2 by mickdoc6238 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:19 pm

essexpete

Post #3 by essexpete » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:26 pm

Looks like a heat light bottom right? Does that come on at all? I suppose if you put a meter across the battery and had a fiddle with the key (does the key turn anti clockwise?) you would see if there is a draw? Which engine fitted? A 4 cyl yanmar in our Thwaites 3 ton was pig to start even in the warm until I put a larger new battery on. Turn over speed is critical as I have proved by fitting to geared reduction starters last autumn to a Ford and a New Holland. Transformed cold weather starting.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:19 pm

I assume this engine is fitted with glow plug type heaters for the inlet manifold as you have to turn the key and hold it for 20 odd seconds before trying to start the engine? I would also check that these glow plug heaters are still working correctly they do get knackered after a while especially if somebody has shoved ether cold start down the engines throat.

Jeremy

Topic author
mickdoc6238

Post #5 by mickdoc6238 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:44 am

Cheers Guys for both of your comments and I will continue to case down this cold start problem but as after a couple of days trying to find out why the dumper will not start I have tracked the problem down to a bad flow of Fuel.I stated to try and bleed the engine because I notice the tank was just off the empty mark although not empty so to be sure treated the problem as if I had ran out of Diesel.
After trying to bleed the system I could not get any fuel out of the Bleed screw.....after tracing back it seems that there maybe a bit of a blockage.
I took the tank of and it was full of shit so although the engine is no starting yet I am pretty sure there must be a bit of shit in the pipe somewhere causing the fuel to flow slow so hopefully sometime today I will get it going.

Return to “Dumpers”