Thwaites Tusker (apparently!)

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Dieseldazzler05
Flag: Great Britain

Thwaites Tusker (apparently!)

Post #1 by Dieseldazzler05 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:26 pm

So on my quest for a dumper I came across what I've been told is a tusker,
bodywork is in pretty bad shape and its sat for a few years but for a whole 80 notes I thought there was nothing to lose!
Its a Petter PH2, 2WD ,3 forward 1 reverse, manual tip.

It does have the cuts in the back plate the same as the Thwaite's dumpers but cant see any plates or stamps to verify this?
also about a foot either side of skip release handle are two forward facing "V" 's that seem to have no purpose?

The only thing that it seems to be missing is the handle but I will be making one on Monday to suit.

Today we tried to bump start it with the land rover which worked fine until the clutch return spring broke at the same time as the little one on the fuel rack!
which gave it full throttle in top gear! :insomnia:
it stopped when it hit the hedge, thankfully!! :dizzy:

so after a bodge with some springs I had lying we tried it again and it runs fine but I'd like to get the proper spring for the fuel which according to the manual is part number 256311.
Does anyone know where I could get one or even anyone have one I could buy?. I've tried ebay and stationary engine parts but no luck
(attached and circled in red)

it also jumps out of reverse but I can live with that until its jobs finished and I can restore it a bit!

Video of it running HERE
https://youtu.be/XLMMMCy5Zg8
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Re: Thwaites Tusker (apparently!)

Post #2 by Mrsmackpaul » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:11 am

The dogs arent looking real happy about the whole show
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

GTsStuff

Post #3 by GTsStuff » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:20 pm

Hi,

The V's are the location points to attach the hydraulic digger arm pack.

Rgds
GT

cobbadog

Post #4 by cobbadog » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:29 am

Jumping out of gear is a selector issue and should be an easy fix when you get to it. As for the springs I would have thought that in the UK there should be plenty of suppliers of parts for your new toy. I restore a lot of old stuff here from our little Liner Roughrider, vintage mowers, stationary engines and tractors as well. When I need a replacement spring I head to the local Hardware store and buy a spring with a similar gauge wire and then adjust it if needed to suit the purpose. So if you are having issues finding an original and a member doesn't pop up with a spare one for you go the to hardware and buy something similar.
Cheers Cobba

Slooby

Post #5 by Slooby » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:42 pm

Finding a decent local hardware store in the UK is becoming nigh on impossible these days, gone are the days when you can go into a shop with a helpfull assistant stocked to the rafters with bits and bobs and ask for Fork Handles...

All we have now on our high streets are nail bars, betting shops, Turkish barbers and charity shops, everything has shifted to the big out of town complexes run by chains who only stock things in packets or with a part number. If you're really lucky you might have the odd survivor out there a small motor factor or iron-monger but they tend to find it hard to stay open with the extreme busniess rates for shops. Pretty much everything is online these days so you run the risks of getting something not as described, or made from finest Chinesium that disintegrates the first time you try to use it. It's really depressing :(
CMN Stuff: MF65, Thwaites Nimline, JCB 3CX
Projects: S11a 88" V8 Hybrid, 2 x S111 109"s, Mk11 Mini, Harrison L5A :doh:
Ish projects: T25 Camper, ST675R
Just added: Alpine S5 & Bridgeport Mk2 :wtf:
Sorely Missed: Impreza, E39 M5

cobbadog

Post #6 by cobbadog » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:37 pm

Ok, brush up on your Chinglish and try to order the correct spring. You will need and OD x gauge or thickness of wire x length. I went to buy a couple of valve springs yesterday and one was a stock item but the 1" x 10g x 4" was not available. Went to go online for it and found one in a box of bits n pieces but that is how you can find them when stuck.
Cheers Cobba

Return to “Dumpers”