Dumper restoration

Discuss dumpers here

mechman
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Dumper restoration

Post #41 by mechman » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:42 pm

They're on the back face of the fly wheel (engine side) generally. Hard to see if they're rusted over.

Topic author
Studu

Post #42 by Studu » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:08 pm

Eureka! We Have lift off but it did not occur as I expected.
I asked a friend who wrestles with old tractors and the like to have a look.
We could not identify the three marks on the flywheel for starters ( I have eventually found them under all the grime.)
AS it happened we did not need them. He looked at the smoke from the exhaust and said, 'it'll go'.
The ejaculate from the injector was a squirt rather than a spray so I eased off the lock nut on the fuel release valve and turned the screw to half way in. A spray appeared.
We cranked it over several times using a blow torch on the air inlet....no joy.
Out of desperation, my friend suggested squirting some heavy engine oil into the cylinder through the injection nozzle port in the hope that it would increase compression slightly.
It worked. Belched out a lot of smoke at first before settling. It sounded great - just like er... a dumper truck.
It impressed the wife for at least 30 seconds.
So no need to get into spill timing or check the fuel release valve pressure. But faced with it again, I would not feel so daunted.
So in the end, it was more a case of bullying it into starting rather than fine adjustment.
The oil pump now needs attention but onwards s they say.
Thanks to all for the advice.
Stewart

Whitlock 505
Flag: Wales

Post #43 by Whitlock 505 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:19 pm

Great news! Sometimes stamina and perseverance wins the day

Ian

Matchless?58

Post #44 by Matchless?58 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:58 pm

Well done mate ! Once these old engines are set up properly and running right they are really reliable . Enjoy .
Cheers Chris

Topic author
Studu

Post #45 by Studu » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:42 pm

My euphoria was short lived after the first firing. I have managed to get it going again but only after warming the air intake with a hot air gun and using some ‘cold start’ spray. Surely if it is going to be a usable item, it should not need a blow lamp, smoking rag and a whole rugby team to cajole it into action??? Or maybe it does? It runs but is somewhat hesitant and erratic. Perhaps a combination of imperfect spill timing, maladjusted fuel release pressure and other minor imperfections add up to make starting and running less than smooth.
So I will try and find someone with a test rig to reset the fuel release pressure and then follow the excellent and clear instructions, supplied on this forum, to set the spill time.
One thing I forgot to mention was that I tried some ‘V power’ diesel which might have made a difference.
Thanks again for all the advice.
Stewart

Topic author
Studu

Post #46 by Studu » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:51 pm

Sorry, another problem. In the photo there is my fuel filter. The bleed screw that the screw driver head is resting in is pouring out fuel due to a stripped thread. Is there a solution or is it a whole new filter?
If the latter, does anyone have one to spare that they can sell to me? I can get a new one but someone may have a decent used one.
Stewart

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #47 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:04 pm

Hi Stuart,
You should be able to re-tap the hole in the filter head and and use a slightly larger screw.

Topic author
Studu

Post #48 by Studu » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:26 pm

My thanks to Fred for the advice about spill timing. When I followed his instructions plus the ones in the manual it was straightforward enough after a bit of fiddling. I had adjusted the pressure release screw on the injector assembly to get a fine mist of fuel and it started more easily. Messing with the spill timing probably was not necessary but I did it anyway to try and optimise performance. All I would add is to make sure the fuel priming lever is open ( i.e. in the down position) when it is being adjusted. I have scanned the relevant page in the manual if anyone wants to view it.
Thanks again to all.

Stewart

Topic author
Studu

Post #49 by Studu » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:35 pm

Topic author
Studu

Post #50 by Studu » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:45 pm

Now that my AVA1 is running I noticed that there was no oil circulating up from the oil filter assembly via a pipe up to the rocker box. I thought it was probably choked up with oil sludge so I dismantled the filter housing and cleaned all the compartments, pipes and pressure reducing valves. I checked progress by hand turning and got oil as far as the final reducing valve before it enters the ascending pipe up to the rocker box. Thus I know that the filter assembly is clear but there does not seem to be enough oil pressure to get it up to the rocker box. Any ideas? Does the oil pressure build up when the engine warms up? Could it be an air lock? Do the reducing valves need adjustment?
Thanks
Stewart

Return to “Dumpers”