New Nimbus owner

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
dickie_mint

New Nimbus owner

Post #1 by dickie_mint » Mon May 18, 2015 11:03 pm

Hi Guys, i have just purchased my first dumper which is a 1950 Thwaites Nimbus with a PH1 engine which I intend to put to work this week on a Barn conversion.
It has been stood for 18 months until i bought it. It started on the 4th attempt with a good squirt of Easy start but spluttered to a stop after a few seconds!
Its had the engine rebuilt,injector refurb,governor refurb,new wheel bearings,new bearings in the steering box and new drums and shoes done by the previous owner.
All in all a good buy even though the paintwork isn't in showroom condition ;)

I have several problems which I need help with if anyone would be good enough to help?

I will start with one then progress to the next once I have fixed the problem in question as I get easily confused!!!!!

1- Brake setup. At the moment the brakes are non functional. The brake shoes are practically brand new, adjusters and actuators are working fine but I am not sure the "Bar" Setup is done incorrectly. Has anyone got a guide/picture/video that I could look at? It seems to be pivoting but not doing its job correctly as neither brake is engaging. It doesn't seem to be pulling in the correct direction if you know what I mean?

Thanks in advance

Rich

bobon66
Flag: Great Britain

Re: New Nimbus owner

Post #2 by bobon66 » Tue May 19, 2015 12:06 am

Hi Rich
Is the brake system girling rod type?. also are you mr mint formally of the chat moss mints?
si

Topic author
dickie_mint

Post #3 by dickie_mint » Tue May 19, 2015 12:16 am

Hi bobon66, Girling rod? Im not sure if thats the system I have but my brakes are run from a cable from the foot brake that goes to a pivot that works two rods that work the actuators and push the shoes against the drum. Does that sound like girling rod brakes?

And no im not from the chat moss mints unless you have money for them and in that case I am!!

Rich

bobon66
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by bobon66 » Tue May 19, 2015 12:42 am

Hi rich
sounds like girling rods go on to the winget dumpers site, go to view manuals and look at the 2s model. the difference with your brakes will be the link from pedal to compensator unit (yours is cable), will give a couple of diagrams and setup. this site will give you manuals for ph1 as well. The ph can stick on the fuel lift pump tappet if not bee used for a while. try moving lever on right hand side just below fuel pump 5-6 times to prime, you should feel resistance (goes hard to move) and hear injector squeak.
hope this helps. good luck
Si
P.S A friend always went by the nickname of dickie mint and his name is Richard thought i would ask.

Topic author
dickie_mint

Post #5 by dickie_mint » Tue May 19, 2015 8:32 am

Thank you very much, i will look that up asap as she is ment to be going out on hire tomorrow!
She is hard to start and i wondered what that lever was for. Its quite stiff but im hoping that a good spuirt of the magical wd40 will free it off a touch.

Its what my grandmother used to call me, i think its off ken dodd and the diddy men?

Rich

Return to “Dumpers”