Benford 100 LPA lift pump

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Tim_Arnold
Flag: Great Britain

Benford 100 LPA lift pump

Post #1 by Tim_Arnold » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:23 pm

Hi
Pretty sure what I have is a Benford 100 in fairly good condition. Can't find serial number but engine number is 4300086LPA2A005. There are one or two oil leaks but nothing too bad, my problem is with starting, with the tank fillies to the brim it's ok but as soon as the level falls it takes ages to start. Pretty sure it's the lift pump, where is the best place to source, and what else should I look at. All wiring has been replaced and heater plug is fine.
Tim Arnold
http://www.parklandsholidays.co.uk
JCB 3D3, Benford 1ton Dumper, Benford Pedestrian Roller.

Topic author
Tim_Arnold

Re: Benford 100 LPA lift pump

Post #2 by Tim_Arnold » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:29 pm

Ok changed lift pump, and fitted new fuel filter, no element in the old one. Still not starting, tank is full of fresh diesel ( proper stuff not red or heating oil). Cranking over, for about 20 seconds, nothing, then sounds like one cylinder is starting to fire but without enough kick to run, after another 10 seconds the one cylinder starts to help and it turns over a little faster then after 10 seconds it will start. Once hot starts fine. When running it's quite smoky but pulls well smoke varies between grey and black.

Forgive me for not introducing myself but I have benn on here for a while, I also have a JCB 3D2, Both machines are here to work but will be restored a bit when time allows.

Don't seen to have a proper sig on tapatalk
Tim Arnold

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:25 pm

Hi Tim do you have decent compression on the engines cylinders? If yes; I would look at the fuel injectors next.

Jeremy

Topic author
Tim_Arnold

Post #4 by Tim_Arnold » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:28 am

Jeremy
Compression, don't really know but I suppose that could be the problem as it spins over quite quickly, and for a good while considering the battery is not that large. Don't have the tools to actually test. Just a small squirt of easy start gets it going. Think I may try some injector cleaner next, at least there is a fuel filter now.
Tim Arnold

Return to “Dumpers”