tusker gearbox

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
landroverbob
Flag: France

tusker gearbox

Post #1 by landroverbob » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:10 pm

Hi can anyone tell me what gearbox is in my 1985 Thwaites Tusker and wouldn't mind any other owners contacting me to swop info.

Topic author
landroverbob

Re: tusker gearbox

Post #2 by landroverbob » Thu May 25, 2017 10:32 am

didn't get any replies so talking to myself,probably an age thing. seems no chance of major parts for my gearbox has anyone ever fitted a different one?
lrb

kipme
Flag: Netherlands

Post #3 by kipme » Thu May 25, 2017 11:04 am

Hey,
would like to help you but i cant dont know much about this machines, maybe you could check the id plate?
Thanks

Topic author
landroverbob

Post #4 by landroverbob » Thu May 25, 2017 11:14 am

thanks -did that and downloaded the parts list from this site but haven't been able to find major parts or what else -if any- the box was fitted in so wondered if anyone else had more info
lrb

Jeremy Rowland

Post #5 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu May 25, 2017 1:46 pm

Bob there maybe nobody on here who can help you identify the gearbox; can I ask what is wrong with the said gearbox? Perhaps parts could be obtained second hand or even made? Have you spoken to the manufacturer I'm sure that I have read somewhere on here that they are generally very helpful? :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
landroverbob

Post #6 by landroverbob » Thu May 25, 2017 7:09 pm

thanks for the reply, research in 2014 came up with it being probably a Newage CM gearbox, that company advertised in the 70's that this gearbox was in other plant but I haven't found which. The previous owner had used it and intimated 3rd gear was not good but I found there was half a gallon of rusty water in the box and an inch of lift in the input or output shaft so if it was run like that it'll be more than a few minor parts which are all I can find available.I guess having any parts made won't be cost effective, I understand that tthe abuse they suffered ruined these boxes so thought someone else may have found an alternative box or could tell me another application for them so I could widen the search .

essexpete

Post #7 by essexpete » Thu May 25, 2017 11:39 pm

landroverbob wrote:thanks for the reply, research in 2014 came up with it being probably a Newage CM gearbox, that company advertised in the 70's that this gearbox was in other plant but I haven't found which. The previous owner had used it and intimated 3rd gear was not good but I found there was half a gallon of rusty water in the box and an inch of lift in the input or output shaft so if it was run like that it'll be more than a few minor parts which are all I can find available.I guess having any parts made won't be cost effective, I understand that tthe abuse they suffered ruined these boxes so thought someone else may have found an alternative box or could tell me another application for them so I could widen the search .

Have you been talking to yourself for nearly 3 years? :D

If the gears and shafts are not completely shot can you not get by with new seals and bearings? I rebuilt a Nibus box when I was kid and it worked for a few more years. (in fact it is the only gearbox I have properly had to pieces). Water down the gear lever is the killer as it can be if it gets into steering boxes on these old dumpers.

Return to “Dumpers”