Post #1 by nick49 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:06 pm

Hi,after some advice how to get the spill timing right on my dumper,
Cheers.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Re: Spill timing ph1 dumper

Post #2 by FOWLER MAN » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:12 am

Hi Nick,
Sorry I havent been back to you before this.
First you need to set the engine at point of injection, there will be two marks on the flywheel, 24 deg. and 28 deg. before TDC. Check the makers plate to see which mark to use, 24 deg. for up to 1,650 r.p.m and 28 deg. for above 1,650 r.p.m.
Line up the correct mark to the pointer on the crank case with the engine on the compression stroke. Fit the pump and remove the plate from the side of the pump mounting to expose the tappet adjuster, slack the adjuster right off.
Set the pump rack with the calibration mark 1/2" from the face of the pump not from the brass bush, (see pic), this mark will be under the rubber seal if yours is still fitted.
Calibration mark & setting.jpg

Undo the fitting, (nut), from the top of the pump and remove the delivery valve spring and plunger from under it, ( keep safe and clean), replace the fitting.
Charge the fuel system and bleed the pump, fuel should now well out of the fitting, (injector pipe connection).
Tighten the tappet till the fuel just stops running this is the spill cut off point. You should use a spill pipe for this but I never bother with that. Keep blowing the fuel from the fitting cone as you make the adjustment and you will find this point pretty accurately.
Then its a case of lock up the tappet, replace the delivery valve and spring and reassemble everything.
P.S.
These engines can be set up to run in reverse rotation and I have once or twice seen a flywheel with two sets of marks to allow for this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #3 by FOWLER MAN » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:54 pm

Hello again,
Theres nothing more rewarding than being able to help people allong. :thumbup:
I must thank Holger and the team for making this possible. :bow:
I have had numerous return posts and PMs from as far afield as Canada, America and Oz. in appreciation when I have been able to pass on a bit of useful knowledge which I have gleaned in the nearly 60 years I have been involved with plant.
Below is the latest I have received which makes it worth putting up with the aggro I received from "Head Office" when I brought the pump in and put it on the table to phptograph it. ;) :lol:
Fred
s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:09 pm

Fred there are many people on CMN that really appreciate your knowledge and help. :thumbup: :claphands:

Jeremy

Neversweat
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by Neversweat » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:59 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:Fred there are many people on CMN that really appreciate your knowledge and help. :thumbup: :claphands:

Jeremy

Top man Fred :claphands:

Return to “Dumpers”