Allis Chalmers scraper-to-dumper-conversions: TW360?

Discuss dumpers here

Topic author
Gavin Phillips

Allis Chalmers scraper-to-dumper-conversions: TW360?

Post #1 by Gavin Phillips » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:20 pm

I found this scan of a brochure on the Net somewhere a long time back and decided to save it. I didn't think much more about it at the time, a typical product line brochure giving a few bits of info of each machine (easy to do when you don't have hundreds of machines to display). It wasn't until recently that I noticed something almost out of place in the scraper line-up. The TW360 looks quite different from the TR260... :?:

I do have a brochure somewhere on the 260, which is a 22ton payload scraper/dump truck conversion. To be honest I have overlooked Allis Chalmers quite a bit in the past but as some people know I do have a liking to sniff out unusual machinery brochures!

However, there is the TW360. Not very clearly shown on the product line image, has anyone got any more information on this machine, a bottom-dump coal hauler type of body or perhaps even a high volume/low density material hauler?

Thanks for any feedback.
Look out that window, Eden isn't burning. Its burnt.

tim
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Allis Chalmers scraper-to-dumper-conversions: TW360?

Post #2 by tim » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:10 am

Hi Gavin The TS were scrapers, the TR were rear dumpers and the TW were bottom dump haulers,found this chart in my AC book sorry about the quality :thumbs_up: Tim
AC1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Gavin Phillips

Post #3 by Gavin Phillips » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:27 pm

Hi Tim

Thanks very much for posting, maybe I should take more of an interest in A-C machines in the future! I can imagine the TR and TW series of dumpers would be rare as far as brochures are concerned, but more than worth looking out for.

I'm still wondering if what I heard is true, there really was an FL30 track loader... :o

Thanks again
Look out that window, Eden isn't burning. Its burnt.

DozerDave

Post #4 by DozerDave » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:59 pm

Hi Gavin, great to see an interesting message regarding Allis Chalmers and nice view of a Construction Product Range Brochure.

You may be interested to know some further info regarding the AC TS-360 Scraper here in the UK. Only six of these machines were imported to the UK in the 1960`s. Three working in Northumberland for Hall of Morpeth mainly on NCB sub-contracts and the rest working in the south for Jim O'Sullivan. Such was the rarity of these machines, spare parts to keep them going were hard to obtain, so the three Sullivan 360`s were actually converted the bowls for use as towed Scapers to work with early versions of the Cat 22A D8. The AC-Buda engines from the 360`s were overhauled and used on Alfred McAlpine`s small fleet of HD-20/21 dozers in operation in East Anglia.
Incidently, in the 60`s, Matchbox produced a nice King Size model of the 360 Scraper and more recently, First Gear released an excellent model of the earlier TS-300 in 1-50 Scale.

Best regards, Dave:

DozerDave

Post #5 by DozerDave » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:03 pm

Gavin Phillips wrote:Hi Tim

Thanks very much for posting, maybe I should take more of an interest in A-C machines in the future! I can imagine the TR and TW series of dumpers would be rare as far as brochures are concerned, but more than worth looking out for.

I'm still wondering if what I heard is true, there really was an FL30 track loader... :o

Thanks again

Hi Gavin, the FL Range track loaders were produced when AC merged with Fiat to become Fiat Allis.

Regards, Dave:

Return to “Dumpers”