SVR Diesel Day 2015

Do you know about any events or fairs, please let us know

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

SVR Diesel Day 2015

Post #1 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:12 pm

Just a few pics here of the Severn Valley Railway's annual Autumn Diesel Gala in which all trains are hauled by preserved diesel loco's on the Thursday, Friday and Saturday and mostly on the Sunday too.

Jeremy

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Re: SVR Diesel Day 2015

Post #2 by topkit » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:52 pm

Great pictures of some real classics Jeremy, Epecially the Class 52 diesel Hydraulic with its fantastic Maybach engines and the Deltic with its twin napiers seeing those leave kings cross in the 70 's was always pretty impressive, i came back from York one Saturday the loco was 55003 "Meld" we left York 8 mins late and arrived in Kings Cross 3 mins early what a great run. :thumbup:

hair bear

Post #3 by hair bear » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:04 am

One thing I always remembered from seeing 52s along the Dawlish wall was the oily effect on the windscreen.
Didn't know any Claytons had survived - interesting machine.
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:35 am

Yes David the Deltic's and the 52's are my favourites too lovely sound to both of them :thumbup: Rob the Clayton also sounded superb with its Paxman engines it is the only one of its kind that survives today; interestingly there is a group of enthusiasts who have set up to build a 'baby Warship' from scratch, they have an original MAN diesel engine and all of the drawings, many parts like the exhauster (compressor) and air braking equipment is the same as used on other older BR diesels so it will be interesting to see what comes of the project.
I also know that the DPS are converting an old class 37 to a 'baby Deltic' using the only remaining engine of its kind left in existence, while there was quite a few of the old NBL 'baby Warships' originally made there was from memory only ten 'baby Deltic's' made being one of the 'pilot test locos' which were not considered to be a success. Okay anorak off now :lol:

Jeremy

topkit

Post #5 by topkit » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:50 pm

No Jeremy no anorak needed, i worked on the railways from 1979 to 1985 and there were so any different classes of Loco and Multiple units at that time some of the rolling stock like the old 4 Subs dated from the 1950's but everything looked different and definately drove differently, i was on class 33 or Cromptons as they were affectionately known and also Class 73 Electro Diesels along with the class 205 Hampshire and class 207 oxted line DEMU's also known as Thumpers, As soon as i can find some spare time i would like to get involved in working with them again.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #6 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:34 pm

David there are a few class 33's that survive so I believe and at least one 'Ed' (electro-diesel)? Think the only problem you may have is one that haunts 99% of people and that's having the time! I only go to the Autumn Diesel Gala on the SVR as I tend to find that other things occupy my time, although I usually make at least one trip to the MRC per year.

Jeremy

hair bear

Post #7 by hair bear » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:44 pm

David, East Kent have some ex NSE 3 rail units, and what I think are Hastings units - but don't quote me!
Jeremy, what we really need is GT18000 re-engined and mainline ready. That would give the local dog population something to howl about.
Can't get my anorak undone but have found a jam sandwich in the pocket...
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

bigkit

Post #8 by bigkit » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:57 pm

The SVR is great. I went there once but not for long enough!

topkit

Post #9 by topkit » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:15 pm

Thanks for the info lads, The Tunbrige Wells to Eridge line has a few preserved diesels on it, which ironically was one of the lines i worked on in BR days, We had the last Loco hauled trains on the Southern Central division, We worked four each evening out of London Bridge one down to Uckfield and three down to East Grinstead i used to swap shifts just to do them a class 33 and a rack of 8 mk1 coaches we used to come out of London Brisge and onece you got to New Cross Gate it was steep up hill all the way to Forest Hill so we used to knock the train heating off which gave the loco more power then forget to put the heating back on lol!! happy days indeed.

Return to “Events”